Author Topic: Antrim Castle  (Read 1205 times)

Offline PeteRae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Antrim Castle
« on: Sunday 03 June 18 12:00 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if there may be any records or information on Antrim Castle ?
I realise it was destroyed by the IRA during the troubles.
My gggrandfather was a renowned sculptor and during the 1800s the then Lord Antrim sent a coach and horses to pick him up from Eaglesfield in Dumfriesshire and take him to Antrim Castle.
This occurred on numerous occasions but I've no information on what he did there.
He ran a wee art school here for the local gentry (who were friendly with the Antrim family) so it may have been an extension of that.....or perhaps to work on stone carvings?
Any info on where I may be able to find records would be great....thanks.
Pete.
Rae , Johnstone , Irving , Aitchison all in D&G....Drysdale and  Stobie in Kinross shire.  Grindley in Cumberland.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: Antrim Castle
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 June 18 14:33 BST (UK) »
Pete,

Are you sure?  I think Antrim Castle was the seat of the Earls of Massereene, family name Skeffington.  The ancestral home of the Earls of Antrim is Glenarm Castle.

Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 June 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if there may be any records or information on Antrim Castle ? I realise it was destroyed by the IRA during the troubles.

Antrim Castle "The former seat of the Skeffington family, Viscounts Massereene and Ferrard, Antrim Castle occupied its imposing setting on the banks of the Sixmilewater River since 1610. The family began laying out the gardens in the 17th century. While the castle itself was destroyed by fire in 1922 the principal Anglo-Dutch water features of the gardens, though somewhat neglected, have remained largely intact." [it was never proven that the IRA was connected with the fire as far as I know]

Glenarm Castle still stands.

My gggrandfather was a renowned sculptor and during the 1800s the then Lord Antrim sent a coach and horses to pick him up from Eaglesfield in Dumfriesshire and take him to Antrim Castle.
Can you narrow down the date a bit to even a decade or so  :-\

Added- the name of the sculptor might also help find more details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 June 18 20:17 BST (UK) »
Your query is where any records may lie. As others have indicated you need to establish which family and which castle. But the answer to your original question is probably PRONI.

PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast has extensive estate papers for Lord Antrim of Glenarm (family name is McDonnell). Indeed I think it is PRONI’s largest single collection of records. The Massereene family of  Antrim Castle (family name Skeffington) also have papers at PRONI though not as many as the Antrim estate.

You can search the PRONI e-catalogue to see what they have but in most cases the documents themselves are not on-line and you need to go to PRONI in person to look them

up.https://apps.proni.gov.uk/eCatNI_IE/SearchPage.aspx
Elwyn

Offline PeteRae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 August 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the informative replies folks....think I'll have to do a bit more background research on this.
Many thanks...Pete :)
Rae , Johnstone , Irving , Aitchison all in D&G....Drysdale and  Stobie in Kinross shire.  Grindley in Cumberland.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 August 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete, we await for your reply.  Whoever ordered that coach /carriage to transport James Rae himself with his must be known already reputation, design and workmanship, his tools, possibly slabs, or blocks of  special granites or marbles. to whichever Castle at Antrim or Glenarm has intrigued me.
As you know James Rae & Sons started in 1883 with James about 25 years old [see census]. Regretfully from our point of view, your current catalogue with bases now at Annan Dumfries and Galloway,  has to do with just the present and future, rather than a record of the past work. James Rae himself appears to have be born in Lochmaben Dumfriesshire and among his children two at least born in Dumfriesshire, and two at least in Wetheral, Cumberland where his wife Jane came from. Eaglesfield where he died is a village in south east Dumfriesshire, Scotland. It is not far from the English Border with Cumbria ie Carlisle

So we are looking for examples of his work or directed work presumably for the Castle owners produced between 1883 and 1921 [ the year he died].  Coach and carriage would have ceased by WW1 so I would reduce the search to say 1883- 1913. a 30 year span. 

Turning towards Ireland and the two contenders during this period, we have Viscount Massereene [ the Skeffington family] at Antrim town, and the Earl of Antrim [the McDonnell] family.  The name of the castle used is Antrim Castle at Antrim town, but the Peerage records also name Antrim Castle is at Glenarm .  I realize your and my own confusion, anyway that’s for others  to explain..

What sort of work was James Rae commissioned to do is unknown to me.  It could be tombstone work, or coats of arms for stone plagues above doorways ,  or complete works of art coming under the heading Sculpture.  I did not find James Rae recognized as a bronze  sculpture in Scottish records. Your suggestion that it was repeat business made me think he was specializing in Tombstone work,  perhaps in a church or church vault, or more likely in a graveyard.   As far as I can find there was no inside chapel in either Castle .     
So I turned to death records for the two contending families during 1883-1913 and was surprised at the scarcity of deaths in both families, with questions unanswered for those dying in England etc, were their bodies brought back to the their childhood home.

Taking notes from the peerage records http://www.thepeerage.com/,
turning first to the Skeffinton family at Antrim Castle, Antrim town the possible Skeffingtons buried in the C of I graveyard or elsewhere could include any of these 3.
Oriel John Clotworthy Whyte Melville Skeffington died ?  Probate 30 Apr 1905
Hon. Florence Cecilia Skeffington was the daughter of John Skeffington, 10th Viscount Massereene and Olivia Deane Grady.1 She died on 4 January 1906, unmarried.
Hon. Winifred Kathleen Rachel Skeffington was born on 3 September 1878.1 She was the daughter of Clotworthy John Eyre Skeffington, 11th Viscount Massereene and Florence Elizabeth Whyte-Melville.1 She died on 10 October 1909 at age 31, unmarried.
Hon. Olivia Margaretta Mary Skeffington was the daughter of John Skeffington, 10th Viscount Massereene and Olivia Deane Grady.1 She died on 13 October 1914, unmarried.

Church records exist for Antrim Town and most are listed on https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/Guide_to_church_records.pdf           
I reduced the records to only those who have burials or death records in existence
ANTRIM, CO. ANTRIM
C.I. Antrim (Connor diocese) burials, 1700-54 and 1786-1054; 16.
P. 1st Antrim (Millrow)
deaths, 1820-35;  family records for the late 18th and 19th centuries;

turning secondly to the McDonnell family at Antrim Castle, Glenarm village. again the possible could include
William Randal McDonnell, 6th Earl of Antrim b 1851 d 19 July 1918 at Antrim Castle, County Antrim, Ireland. His son might also have been involved ie
Randal Mark Kerr McDonnell, 7th Earl of Antrim b 1878, d. 1932
Hon. Mark Henry Horace McDonnell b 1852 the son of Captain Mark McDonnell, 5th Earl of Antrim d 1909. but in Steyning Sussex  so that makes it very unlikely he was buried in Glenarm.

Church records exist for Glenarm and most are listed on https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/Guide_to_church_records.pdf           
I reduced the records to only those who have burials or death records in existence
TICKMACREVAN, CO. ANTRIM
C.I. Tickmacrevan or Glenarm (Connor diocese)
burials, 1824-1961; indexes to burials,1846-1941;
R.C. Glenarm or Tickmacrevan (Down and Connor diocese) [Part of Tickmacrevan parish is in the Roman Catholic parish of Carnlough – see also under ARDCLINIS]
deaths, 1831-8.

So far I have not located a grave for any of the above in Ireland. I give up in the meantime but remain interested as to his business adventures.  Wishing you find many evidences of your families past endeavours inc those in Co Antrim.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 August 18 23:16 BST (UK) »
The Skeffingtons have commemorative plaques in Antrim town Church of Ireland.  Not certain whether they are buried in the church or in the adjacent graveyard, but that was their family church.
Elwyn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 August 18 08:33 BST (UK) »
thank you Elwyn
worldwide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 August 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
staying in Antrim town
living there in 1901 census
10 in Townparks (Antrim Urban, Antrim)
Skeffington   Winifred [b 1878]   22   Female   Daughter   Church of Ireland   Co Louth   Peer's Daughter   Read and write   -   Not Married   -
Skeffington   Violet   [b 1879] 21   Female   Daughter   Church of Ireland   Dublin City   Peer's Daughter   Read and write   -   Not Married
with a variety of people with titled domestic occupations where were they in 1911

living there 1911 census
10 in Townparks (part of Urban) (Antrim Urban, Antrim)
Viscount Massareene  Algernon William John  Clotworthy Skeffington Ferrard   37   Church of Ireland   City of Dublin   Peir of the Reale I P D L Major Retried Pay ArmyMarried   -   m 6 years to   -   -
Viscountess Massareene & Ferrard   Jean Barbara  Ainsworth Ferrard      Established Church of Scotland   Scotland   Wife   Read and write   -   Married
with a large variety of people all described as Servants
worldwide