Author Topic: Harper (Help Im stuck)  (Read 913 times)

Offline Harper 7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Harper (Help Im stuck)
« on: Sunday 03 June 18 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I have been stuck here for years now and thought maybe someone here could help.  Im looking for my 2x great gpa James Harper @apr1816 I think in Antrim.  He died 10jan1890 in Wellington, ONT Canada.  I have very little info and cant find immigration info as its a common name.  His moms name was Elizabeth and was born about 1788 in Ireland...possibly Cavan or Antrim.  She immigrated to Canada too as I can see her on the census.  It says she is from Ireland but is of the Church of Scotland...not sure if that might be a hint going further back or not... 

Any help is appreciated....  I know Ireland is tough and the names are common, but there must be a clue out there somewhere....

Thanks!
Cowie, MacBean, Fraser, MacIntosh, Harper, McGlashan, McGillivray, Cameron, Doyle, Griffin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harper (Help Im stuck)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 June 18 16:19 BST (UK) »
Have you forgotten you've already a thread looking for information on James Harper?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=634175.msg4817496#msg4817496

A baptism record was posted there (reply #2) for a James Harper with father John at Saintfield, Co. Down as well as other details to follow up.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Harper 7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 June 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
Yes as a matter of fact I did forget.  Sorry.  Dont see anything conclusive on the old post though and no one in the family has done a dna test which I cant do because I was adopted.
Cowie, MacBean, Fraser, MacIntosh, Harper, McGlashan, McGillivray, Cameron, Doyle, Griffin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 June 18 16:37 BST (UK) »
James Harper @apr1816 I think in Antrim
What makes Antrim a possibility?

His moms name was Elizabeth and was born about 1788 in Ireland...possibly Cavan or Antrim.  She immigrated to Canada too as I can see her on the census.  It says she is from Ireland but is of the Church of Scotland...not sure if that might be a hint going further back or not... 
Just means she was Presbyterian in Canada (and probably Ireland). What makes you think she was born in 'possibly Cavan or Antrim'?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Harper 7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 June 18 16:50 BST (UK) »
It says on his death cert he was born in antrim.  As for the mother....there was a possible match with another tree and they had her from Cavan, but I am not sure about that as I dont have any other info.

Offline Harper 7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 June 18 18:35 BST (UK) »
Well i just found a game changer....James was born Cavan (his dad too) and his mom in Monaghan....  So, Moving on there. 

Sorry.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 June 18 18:59 BST (UK) »
Well i just found a game changer....James was born Cavan (his dad too) and his mom in Monaghan....  So, Moving on there. 

Sorry.

How?

Where?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Harper 7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 June 18 19:30 BST (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 June 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
Your years of researching and researching have finally paid off!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.