Author Topic: New Row West Coleraine  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Baba1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Row West Coleraine
« on: Sunday 03 June 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there was a home/hostel/hospital located in New Row West, Coleraine?
I have found something on the 1924 Street Directory called the "Babies Club and Dispensary" listed as New Row in Coleraine. Would this have been a place for unmarried mothers or simply a clinic type place? I have a birth cert for someone in 1929, which gives New Row West, Coleraine as place of birth but the family were not living in Coleraine at that time, so it made me wonder if there was a reason why one of the family would all the way to Coleraine to have a baby?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Row West Coleraine
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 June 18 15:49 BST (UK) »
Haven't heard of it before but did find it in 1918 (see below). There are 2 churches- Presbyterian & Congregational- on New Row, solicitors, etc. Who was listed as the informant on the 1929 birth certificate- might be a clue to tracking down more information. If the mother wasn't from Coleraine where did she come from to have the baby? Was the child illegitimate?

There's details from 1918 directory for Coleraine here- Babies' Club and Dispensary, New Row - Nurse Clements in charge. Dispensary might be connected to a doctor? There was a Dr. Law on New Row
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/PT19184.htm#Coleraine

Here are the households in New Row West in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Coleraine/New_Row__West
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Baba1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 00:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. The informant on the birth cert gives the mother's name. Without getting in to too much detail, we are almost certain that the grandparents were named as the parents on the cert when in actual fact the mother may have been another family member. The child was given up for adoption shortly after, despite the "parents" having several other children at home.  I did find a report called "Report on the physical welfare of mothers and children" dated 1917, which refers to Babies' Clubs which seem to have been opened throughout Ireland (Coleraine is mentioned) in an attempt to educate mothers in nutrition/child welfare and even sewing and mending classes. So I don't think it was a home for unmarried mothers.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
Does sound more like what the midwife and health visitor do for pregnant women/new mothers nowadays. From the 1918 directory it seems there was a 'Nurse Clements' there but 'dispensary' implied a doctor involved in dispensing medicines, etc. Dr. Law, being in New Row, might be the medical person.

Can understand if you don't want to post more exact details but am wondering if the mother (whoever it was) came to Coleraine to stay with a relative or someone known to the family if she was from a good distance away. The Valuation Revision Books are online (free) and go to around 1929/1930 is you fancy scrolling through the names for any clues. Just type in 'New Row' 'County Londonderry' 'Coleraine Parish'
https://apps.proni.gov.uk/Val12B/Search.aspx

If you need any more help you can post here or send me PM (Personal Message)

Offline Brown1777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 June 18 23:18 BST (UK) »
Baba 1,

I have a receipt dated 23 January 1923 from a "Godfrey Bateman, M.D.D.P.H..L.M(Rotunda  Hosp) New Row Coleraine" - "for professional attendance"

Brown 1777

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 June 18 07:07 BST (UK) »
I have a receipt dated 23 January 1923 from a "Godfrey Bateman, M.D.D.P.H..L.M(Rotunda  Hosp) New Row Coleraine" - "for professional attendance"

M.D.= Medical Doctor, D.P.H.= Doctor Public Health, L.M. possibly Life Member

Godfrey Bateman in 1911 census was a medical student-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Pembroke_West/Northumberland_Road/11792

Bateman Godfrey of Strand Road Portstewart county Londonderry M.D. tuberculosis officer for the county of Londonderry died 8 June 1942 at Sir Patrick Dunn's Hospital Dublin Eire Administration W/A Londonderry 12 May to Evyln Maud Bateman the widow. Effects £403 8s. 5d.

Ballymena Observer, 12 June 1942: DR. GODFREY BATEMAN The death occurred suddenly Monday in Dublin, where he had been on visit to his sister, of Dr. Godfrey Bateman, Portstewart... was aged 49 and son of the late Mr. Godfrey Batemnn, LL.D., Senior Inspector Schools, Dublin. Dr. Bateman was educated at Galway and Portora Schools … took up medical practice in Coleraine, and about twelve years ago he was appointed tuberculosis officer for County Derry, a position which he held at his death. He was a popular figure in social and other circles in Coleraine, Portstewart, and Portrush...

Lots more in the local papers about his involvement in British Legion, marriage notice for daughter, etc. but didn't see anything mentioning New Row.

Offline Brown1777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 June 18 12:31 BST (UK) »
The receipt was dated 23 January 1923 and issued to a relative of my wife's "for professional attendance from September 1922 to date" and she paid 10 shillings on 29 January 1923.  It clearly shows New Row, Coleraine and "opening hours:- 9.30am - 10.30am, 2-3pm, 6-7 pm(May - September), 7-8pm (October - April) and by Appointment. Telephone 85".   Brown1777

Offline Baba1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 June 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this. That reference to the Rotunda in Dublin would certainly indicate that he was involved in maternity services for women. I really appreciate your help.