Author Topic: McGowan Family, Kilmarnock  (Read 4624 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: McGowan Family, Kilmarnock
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 June 18 09:13 BST (UK) »
Looking at the names of Aitken children born in Kilmarnock between 1899 and 1911 I believe William’s middle name may actually be Breckenbridge as there is a birth for a Janet Breckenbridge Aitken. Janet age 5 is listed with her father William ( age 34) in Kilmarnock in 1911 along with three other siblings - Arthur ( born Arthur McGowan Aitken), John and Elleanor ( probably born Helen McGowan Aitken).
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 June 18 10:37 BST (UK) »
William Brecken Aitken married Agnes  Donachie McGowan in 1899 in Kilmarnock.

Good find Isobel & now confirms my doubts on what I wasn't sure of on the passenger image re 'Little' i.e. 'Little' was refering to the Farm!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MattB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 June 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
"Arthur, appears to be the son of Edward McGowan (born County Armagh), and Margaret Cairns. Edward born around 1830"

The death certs. will give both parentage including mothers maiden name (if the informant knew those details) for a few credits on scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Trying to work out the name of the mother of Agnes McGowan Aitken.

Looks like Mrs Arthur? Little - may have to post on Deciphering board as I can't find a marriage for McGowan/Little or Aitken/Little to match?

Annie

It looks like Edward McGowan (aka Mcgowne) died 1902 aged 68. Both his death certificate and his second marriage give his mother as Mary nee Kennedy.

However, the death certificate gives his father as Arthur; the second marriage (in 1878) names him as Michael

The 1851 census, which seems likely to be him, names the mother as Rosa.

Can anyone help unravel this? I think the two certificates are correct because of consistency with mother’s surname. The census maybe more questionable.

The potentially exciting bit is that the family legend is that a Mcgowan married a Kennedy from Castle Culzean. We now have a proven Kennedy link. Of course, could still just be a family myth but it makes it a little more tantalising.

Grateful for any thoughts!

Matt
Follow me on twitter @7oaksww1 or please visit sevenoaksww1.org