Author Topic: Ralph Horace Murray  (Read 922 times)

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ralph Horace Murray
« on: Sunday 03 June 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
I need help please in finding Ralph Horace Murray's birth, more info on his parents, and who were his siblings. And when did he leave Scotland for South Africa? Did he come with his parents or did he come by himself? Thanks.
Estimated date of birth 1835 in Beath or Beith, Ayrshire. Father Malcolm Murray and mother Jessie
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ralph Horace Murray
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 June 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
Nothing in Ayrshire, closest is in Perth but the parents don't match.  Ralph is not a common given name and only 1 OPR birth within the timeline +/- 5 years (Perth), who is in the 1841 and 1851 Census. 

Of course he could been born not baptised, at least in the C of S and the family emigrated before 1841.

Where this information came from?

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 June 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
I got it off his South African death notice. Could he then been born in England or maybe Ireland? His wife filled it in or just signed it. Is there a name close to Ralph that is used in Scotland?

Here is his death notice link - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSQ8-7SXC-K?cc=2517051&wc=WV44-S81%3A1598082399 
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 June 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
Ralph is Ralph I have one from 1703 which has puzzled me for decades.

The only other Ralph I see was b 1830 in Northumberland to Thomas and Jane (although it could be Jessie).  Its on Ancestry.  Malcom's you will find in northern Scotland, there are a few.

I am not familiar with South African resources but do they by chance have his parents deaths as well?

It is a mystery but I suspect they were members of the Church of Scotland and emigrated prior to 1841.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 June 18 17:27 BST (UK) »
In case you haven't seen this …

http://www.southafricansettlers.com/?p=26413
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 June 18 18:24 BST (UK) »
Don,I have not looked for his parents death records. I will now and see if they did die in South Africa.

Yes thanks, Priscilla that's were I got some of the info to help find his death record.