Author Topic: Question about some graves in Nottingham General Cemetery  (Read 1629 times)

Offline jedidiah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Question about some graves in Nottingham General Cemetery
« on: Sunday 03 June 18 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I don't know if anyone can help me, but seeing previous posts some people have asked similar questions and people here have kindly been able to help. I have some relatives buried in the General Cemetery and I'm going up on Tuesday, I wanted to know if headstones exist for the graves im looking for, and even better if anyone has any maps or even rough location where within the cemtery i would need to be looking.
The graves are

Thanks in advance for any help!
best, Tom

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Question about some graves in Nottingham General Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 June 18 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

I have a database with gravestone monuments for General Cemetery but those graves are not on it so looks like no stones.  The cemetery is very large so you would be looking for a needle in a hay stack, your best bet would be to get in touch with the cemetery office at Wilford Hill Cemetery who has the records for the cemetery to see if they can send you a map with the graves marked on.

NG1
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline jedidiah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 June 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thank you very much for checking that for me! I was hoping with 4 of them that at least one might have a headstone, but such is life!

Offline M D-Acq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

I have a database with gravestone monuments for General Cemetery but those graves are not on it so looks like no stones.  The cemetery is very large so you would be looking for a needle in a hay stack, your best bet would be to get in touch with the cemetery office at Wilford Hill Cemetery who has the records for the cemetery to see if they can send you a map with the graves marked on.

NG1

Hi, NG1--

I've just joined Rootschat, so I hope I'm querying correctly.  I see that you mentioned to Tom, above, that you have a database of gravestone monuments in General Cemetery, and I wondered if you'd be willing to see if grave number 15440 is one of them.  I'm interested in a stone or stones for members of the Graham and Meats families -- several have death certificates indicating grave number 15440.  Many thanks for any help you can provide. 

Offline lainie3961

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 May 20 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just in case Tom doesn't come back to you. Along with your grave number, records should show which section of the graveyard the grave is in. I have a record of the sections but not where each individual grave is.

I dont know where you found the grave number - but the archives at Nottingham - if I recall correctly - have a computer database of names and graves.
Areas: Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Northamptonshire and Leicestershire.

Main Names: Wood, Taylor, Beckworth, Whysall, Hull [and many others when I go off on a tangent!! lol]

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 May 20 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, M D,

Sorry to have taken time to get back to you but didnt get a message saying about your post until lainie had posted today.

First time I have heard that grave numbers on death Certificates.

Anyway had a look on my database, which was provide by Notts Family History Society, but no grave monument for grave 15540.  I did however find that there are 18 Meats surname on the dateabase but none with a grave number, so if you can give names and dates you are looking for I can see if they are there.  As for Surname Graham there is one grave monument for a Robert Charles Graham and his wife Mary and looks like 8 of their children all not named on stone but the grave number is 12450.

As for grave 15540 when Nottingham Archives reopens after the lockdown when ever that will be I can  check the burial records for you.

Lanine,

i don't think the achieves now have the database on their computers anymore  well not the last time I was there anyway and that was just before the lock down began.

All the best and hope you all keep well

NG
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;

Offline Tempest2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 August 22 12:09 BST (UK) »
nottsgirl1 I'm hoping you can help based on the above.We are back home now to Cheshire but have been in Nottingham and spent more than an hour over two days searching unsuccessfully for the grave of our Isaac Cheetham grave /7882. I had a map from deceased online.com which gave the location.But when we put feet on the ground it was a very different matter, we were in the general area (we think), just below the hardstanding (car park?) in the centre. So many stones fallen face down and so many overgrown with ivy and undergrowth. I'm hoping you maybe able to say whether we were wasting our time, and the isn't in fact a headstone. Looking again this morning at deceased online I now realise the grave also contains one of his daughters, Catherine Woodhall and his wife Mary. Many thanks

Offline Tempest2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 August 22 12:32 BST (UK) »
If I may, as a follow up to my above post. the burial date for Isaac Cheetham is correct 2 March 1895, his wife Mary also correct 13 jan 1905. but then there are two entries for the daughter Catherine Woodhall, one again correct 24 aug 1899 but then there is another for her of 11 Aug 1914. Anyone any idea what this second date is?

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 August 22 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Tempest2,

On my monument disc (which is an updated one)  there is no monument for Isaac Cheetham & Family for grave 7882.  However I can tell you that the Catherine Woodhall/Woodall buried in 1914 is the daughter of William Woodall and Catherine Cheetham (buried 1899).  If you like I can have a look at the burial records next time I'm in the archives to see if they confirm this.

Just a bit of advise for next time your in Nottingham and what to look for a grave get in touch with the Cemetery Department at Wilford Hill at cemeteries@nottinghamcity.gov.uk  and ask them to see if they can look for the grave for you and see if there is a headstone and if not mark the grave with a marker so you find the grave easier if you just what to see the grave site.  They may charge a fee I'm not sure.

nottsgirl1