Author Topic: Galton-Smedmore  (Read 1324 times)

Offline methodmoran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Galton-Smedmore
« on: Sunday 03 June 18 23:02 BST (UK) »
Would appreciate if somebody could help me with something.

My ancestor Robert Galton was born in East Lulworth in 1642. He had a daughter called Mary born in Lulworth in 1667. Lots of other trees I have seen people put online state that Robert's wife and Mary's mother was Ann Smedmore born 1642. I can't find any record of a marriage between Robert Galton and Ann Smedmore, yet others have the marriage as taking place in 1666.

Naively when I started tracing the family I just replicated what others had done. I have traced the ancestors of Ann Smedmore back over centuries. However, if I cant prove that Ann Smedmore was the wife of Robert Galton, my work might have been a waste of time.

Can anybody help with this?

Thanks

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Galton-Smedmore
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 June 18 06:57 BST (UK) »
The East Lulworth page on Dorset OPC does not show a likely marriage for Robert Galton, which suggests that Ann was from a different village.

http://eastlulworth.org.uk/old/
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 June 18 07:41 BST (UK) »
Naively when I started tracing the family I just replicated what others had done. I have traced the ancestors of Ann Smedmore back over centuries. However, if I cant prove that Ann Smedmore was the wife of Robert Galton, my work might have been a waste of time.

Ah, another victim of Treetruster Syndrome (believe me, many of us suffered from it when we started out!)

You may have to mark your research as "not yet proved" and wait for more parish register transcriptions to be put online.

The Dorset Online Parish Clerk, FreeReg and FamilySearch have indexed marriages for SMEDMORE in Lulworth, Swanage, Steeple and Wool, but there are many registers not yet transcribed.

As an alternative approach - have you checked to see if Ann SMEDMORE's father left a will?  If one exists, and if he names Ann GALTON, that would provide proof. (The Ancestry index of Dorset Wills & Probate 1565-1858 lists 13 SMEDMORE wills, so you might be lucky)

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 June 18 22:07 BST (UK) »
Have you asked the people whose trees you have copied where they got the information from?  It could be a useful starting point.