Author Topic: Sydney Water Police Records  (Read 1410 times)

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sydney Water Police Records
« on: Monday 04 June 18 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I wonder if anyone know of the above in the NSW Records? I have searched the website and no mention, emailed the Police Museum and they put me through to City Curators who weren't able ot help

Looking for a possible "sign-in" for my 2nd GGrandfather when he was arrested for attempted suicide (slitting his throat!") 16 Jul 1890 and sentenced to 2 mths prison in Sydney or Darlinghurst Gaol in Aug 1890. I understand that his picture may have been taken for a sentence over 3 mths but wonder if they have an sign-in or admission ledger so I could at least see his signature as I don't have nay photos

Many thanks for any guidance. His name was John GOSTELOW and there are a myriad of sp.
Meegan

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Sydney Water Police Records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 June 18 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Meegan,
   Here is index to gaol photographs and inmates
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/search_form?id=84
    I have searched using wildcards and cannot find his name.

I suppose you have already seen the stories on trove?  Well just in case you haven't here a few
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article227469393
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article227463732
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article227463732
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article113332015

Here are indexes for court cases https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/courts/indexes

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 01:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ros.

He had quite a few articles in Trove, so I have an idea of him for his story but a photo or even signature would have been great. Will keep trying the Records, such a thing as a ledger might not exist.

John died a few years after this in Callan Park Hospital. We think he may have been affected by lead poisoning - he was a painter and, from his nursing notes, he exhibited some of the symptoms of it
Cheers
Meegan

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 02:02 BST (UK) »
Did he die in 1894 Meegan?

It is possible that there is a probate packet for him at NSW archives (there is a gap in online probate index from c1890 to 1927).   But I can't see a probate advert on trove or a deceased estate on the archives website.

But I will check the microfiche next time I am there - worth a try.  A probate packet contains a will, usually a death cert and details of heirs.

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 03:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, Ros, he did die in 1894.
You are very kind to offer but I do already have his probate packet and DC. Unfortunately for me (and of course dear John) he died insolvent and intestate so no signatures there. But I will go through his previous filings for insolvency and see if they have his signature. Such a little thing but would be lovely to have it

Through Trove I have picked up a little bit about his life - he was chair of the first Painters Union in NSW, he was active in the community on different levels one of them being a bell-ringer! His first wife, and mother to my ancestor, died when she was 33 and he had a few children to raise. I gather his 2nd wife wasn't a great person

Many thanks for your interest
Meegan

It was a sad end for him, dying in paranoia and epileptic fits if that is what they were.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/128776114 Evening News 15 April 1890 ...

perhaps there's a fresh clue in this cutting ... so around Easter, 1890 his then:
 :) occupation,
 :) home address,
 :) hospital admitted to,
 :) name of the doctor,

PLUS there's info about the police:
 :) name of police constable, and the number of the police station,

:) and there's that variation in the spelling for his surname too ...
 :) "family troubles" mentioned... 

I have not ever noticed the signature of the offender on any of the NSW "crim sheets" I have sighted over the years, but I do remember noticing patient signatures on hospital records, including "X" marks, and also if patient was unable to sign (unconscious, broken arm, etc etc etc) sometimes a spouse or other family member would sign instead.

ADD,  I think I recall reading in another newspaper cutting that he had been in Sydney Hospital from April (so I am suggesting the newspaper trail shows he injured himself April 5, not July) until his trial in August ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 23:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Ros, I hadn't seen that  cutting. Will get onto Trove and tidy it up too. Do appreciate your insight and guidance - so good to have someone with experience look at things anew

Many thanks - again
Neegan

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 00:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry- that was majm who found that.

Thank you majm
Meegan

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 00:56 BST (UK) »
I remembered helping on your previous threads for your  NSW Gostellow family and the various spellings found on several hardcopy 19th century NSW electoral rolls, directories, rates/assessments, burial registers, bdm indexes, etc.  I also remember I had some info on a Qld pioneer family by that name. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.