Author Topic: Sarah Poole 1901 census  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Poole 1901 census
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 June 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
The Forest of Dean Family History website (free to join) has transcribed the Gloucestershire Marriage Allegations 1637-1837 and Marriage Bonds 1730-1823

Had a quick look

There are usually two records for the same person (each one giving more info)

Record ID 64710  - dated 15 February 1772

John POOL, Yeoman, residence: Upton St Leonards
Mary RODWAY - Spinster, residence: Upton St Leonards   **

Marriage by Bond: 
He signs
witness 1: Charles WELLS a Yeoman of Upton St Leonards

Memoranda: The groom and Charles WELLS are bound in the sum of £500.  To marry at Upton St Leonards

---

The Record ID 46400 - for the same couple, give John POOL aged 21, and Mary RODWAY - is aged 21 (Marriage by Licence)

---

then there is: two records for Thomas POOL is is aged 24, at a Batchelor, Yoeman of Pitchomb who marries a Elizabeth DOWDESWELL - aged 24, to marry at Painswick - 8 May 1778

---
and a Samuel DOWDESWELL aged 34, Batchelor, of Standish - to marries an Elizabeth POOL Aged 24, Spinster, of Pitchomb - 17 February 1781 to marry at Pitchomb

---

Checking the National Archives, just Google: A2a

Will have a look, but the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (on Ancestry Wills) - hold the Will of Thomas POOLE 6 April 1820 - of Pitchcombe

quite a bit at the National Archives, including in 1792, John RODWAY v Mary POOLE, adultery, Upon St Leonards etc.

Also on the National Archives, 1785:

POOLE/POOLL, Thomas Pitchcombe, Probate Causes - so the surname was also spelt POOLL

?There is a Samuel POOLL, christened at Stroud St Lawrence 23 March 1776, parents: Samuel & Hannah  (about 2.5 miles from Pitchcomb)

siblings: at Stroud St Lawrence :Hannah : 13 November 1774, Susanna, 25 January 1778 - death 11 July 1779  and Thomas 30 June 1779, John 30 June 1782, William POOL - 1787

---

Burials at Stroud St Lawrence

Samuel POOLE - aged 77 years birth about 1746, buried 12 November 1823, residence: Acre Edge, Stroud
Hannah POOLE - aged 84 years c 1745, buried 1 February 1829, residence: Silver Street, Stroud

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
  • Mayfield House - Tasmania
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Poole 1901 census
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 03:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Capetown, you have certainly been busy.  I have had Samuel and Hannah from Stroud as possible Parents of my Samuel along with John Pool and Mary (Rodway) - Seems she was a naughty girl.   I suspect the Thomas Pool of Pitchcomb is an uncle of my Samuel??

I may never get proof of who his parents are but will enter all your info onto a common timeline spreadsheet along with my own info and keep adding until something gels.

Thanks for letting me know the sources you have used.  Written in the USL Church Register is "It appears that there was no entry kept by the minister of Baptisms and Burials from the year 1774 to the year 1783".     So other sources are invaluable.