Author Topic: Ages on the 1939 census  (Read 4607 times)

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ages on the 1939 census
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 19:54 BST (UK) »
I ordered the birth certificate for John James since I only had his supposed birth date from his catholic baptism record. The baptism was in September and his date of birth is down as the 25th August 1889. The birth wasn't registered until October 1889

The birth certificate has his birth as 31st august 1889 which agrees with the corrected date on the 1939 register.

I'm certain they are the same person - both born in Westminster. Father Cornelius, Mother Mary Williams (it's Williams on his baptism record and his godmother is Hanora Williams)

Very odd that the DOB on his baptism is incorrect though ???

Don't dismiss the DOB in the Baptism register too quickly.

One has 42 days to register a birth and then may be liable for a fine for a late registration. Check the date of the registration and calculate the interval to the two DOB that you have, a few porkies may have been told to escape a fine.

Of course if the misinformation was discovered and deemed to be wilful there could have been even more serious consequences.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
I ordered the birth certificate for John James since I only had his supposed birth date from his catholic baptism record. The baptism was in September and his date of birth is down as the 25th August 1889. The birth wasn't registered until October 1889

The birth certificate has his birth as 31st august 1889 which agrees with the corrected date on the 1939 register.

I'm certain they are the same person - both born in Westminster. Father Cornelius, Mother Mary Williams (it's Williams on his baptism record and his godmother is Hanora Williams)

Very odd that the DOB on his baptism is incorrect though ???

Don't dismiss the DOB in the Baptism register too quickly.

One has 42 days to register a birth and then may be liable for a fine for a late registration. Check the date of the registration and calculate the interval to the two DOB that you have, a few porkies may have been told to escape a fine.

Of course if the misinformation was discovered and deemed to be wilful there could have been even more serious consequences.

Thats the case on my great grandfathers birth certificate - official date of birth 42 days before registration - and a week after he was born.  Even though he celebrated his birthday on the day - he always put offical date on forms etc -

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 20:24 BST (UK) »
And as in your case his baptism record has the correct one (the 18th not the 25th) - obviously his mother felt it was fine to lie on a legal document to avoid a fine - but not to God (or her son as she didn't confess to him till he was in his 20s and saw his birth certificate)

I remember him telling the story when I was little so definitely the baptism is right and the birth, death certificates are wrong (thanks Uncle Ivor for backing up that lie) as is the 1939 register

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 20:44 BST (UK) »
Always remember that not all people had calendars. Everything cost money and some just did not have it. I am sure that with some people one day just goes into another day. There must be some births recorded by the Registrar that were a few days off.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 21:07 BST (UK) »
 My father in law was born on a Wednesday in June in 1911,in Ennis Ireland.

His father only went into town occasionally.He went in to register the birth and quite a few people bought him a drink to wet the baby's head ya know.

He then went to the Ennis register office and told them that the wife had a baby boy last Wednesday,or was it the one before,ah who cares (they were Irish ya see)

So his birth was registered under one date,but the baptism by their local priest who was advised by his wife (not the drunk husband) of the correct date,had a completely different date of birth a week before!

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 21:15 BST (UK) »
That would certainly make sense. The only problem is I can't read the date on the birth certificate other than the month and year ::) Might say the twelfth?
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 21:34 BST (UK) »
I would say that says the 12th - which, surprise surprise, is 42 days exactly after 31st Aug

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 21:37 BST (UK) »
I would say that says the 12th - which, surprise surprise, is 42 days exactly after 31st Aug

Another vote for 12th from me too  :D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 23:03 BST (UK) »

I'll third that. ;D The twelfth.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.