Author Topic: Look up request All Saints (Elswick)  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Claravale

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up request All Saints (Elswick)
« on: Monday 04 June 18 15:28 BST (UK) »
Wondering if anyone with a bit more knowledge can help me out. I thought I had the correct death for Thomas Wilson but I don’t. I’ve just ordered his wife’s death cert and he actually registered her death. He was born in 1875 and I believed he died in 1914 but Mary died in 1920 so he was still alive then. Any help would be gratefully received.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request All Saints (Elswick)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 June 18 21:21 BST (UK) »
I think I may be able to try to help out with this within a couple of weeks when I can fit this in with work and other comm - if you don't mind the wait or someone else does not best me to it.

Do you have any idea of the street name where they may have lived?  This would help with finding where he may be buried.  Even if you don't know I could still try to find him without this information. Elswick Cemetery and All Saints Cemetery are two different cemeteries by the way and not situated near each other.

If I can find a burial I will then be able to look for a possible death notice.  Death notice should clarify for you if he is the right Thomas. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Claravale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 June 18 21:26 BST (UK) »
Yes they lived at 9 Duke Street in 1911 I’ve ordered his wife’s death certificate and he was the informant in 1920 so I can check the address etc when that turns up. They did tell me it was classed as All Saints. I’d love to find out where they are both buried that was my next task, really appreciate any help!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 June 18 21:32 BST (UK) »
Leave this with me and I will get back to you within two weeks.  It sounds like either All Saints, Elswick or Heaton may be likely cemeteries for Thomas.  I will need to fit in either a Newcastle library or Tyne and Wear Archives visit. 

I will be back in touch and will let you know what I can find out within the next fortnight. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Claravale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 June 18 21:54 BST (UK) »
That’s exceptional thank you! I know a lot of the family are in Heaton Cemetry but there from the next generation down. There seems to be quite a few tragedies on this side of the family just desperate to find out more. Thank you.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Claravale,

I have just realised that you have actually written that you only thought Thomas had died in 1914 (but have since realised that he must have died after Mary's death in 1920.).

I have looked on freebmd and there are loads of Thomas Wilsons who died in the Newcastle registration district and several who might meet the criteria for his birth year.  Would you be able to let me know of which specific years you think your ancestor may have died just to make things easier when I do go to do the look ups.  Could you let me know possible year(s), quarter and if Thomas had a middle name, please?

It shouldn't be too difficult to find Mary's burial since you know the year of death and the area in Newcastle she lived in at time of death.

I presume she is Mary E. Wilson who was registered in the June quarter of 1920?

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 June 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
This is very unusual but I have looked at all the cemeteries in Newcastle and have been unable to find a burial for Mary.  I don't know if I am missing something but I have not been able to find her at all.

Unfortunately, as I can't find Mary's burial place and you are not sure exactly when Thomas died I don't think I can do anymore.  To keep searching all different cemeteries for different years for a Thomas Wilson would take up days on end.  I am very sorry to disappoint you like this.  I usually can find people I am looking for but not in this case.  I tried my best.  Sorry. :-\

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 June 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for letting me know that she has been recorded as Elizabeth in some records.

At least I know now that I might not be failing in my focus after all.  I was only looking for a Mary in all the Newcastle cemeteries.