Author Topic: Original handwriting for BMD records - GRO or Local Office?  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Original handwriting for BMD records - GRO or Local Office?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 16:57 BST (UK) »
You could also try contacting the local RO and asking them to have another look.  If it's not possible to make a photocopy of the original, perhaps they might be willing to photograph it for you.  Make it clear that you've already paid for a copy.  Nothing to lose by asking.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 19:45 BST (UK) »
It should be possible to tell from the certificate whether this was the case: other than the modern signature saying "This is a true copy....", who else has signed in an official capacity?
Thanks for all your suggestions.  I should have mentioned that the whole of the 2009 certificate has been hand written by the Deputy Registrar and is in blue ink so is a modern copy of the original.

I possibly didn't make myself clear. When I referred to signatures, I actually meant "Whose signature appears on the certificate as having been involved in the ceremony and/or registration at the the time of the marriage?"

Even if what you have is a modern handwritten transcript, it will include a transcription of the signatures from the register and the capacity in which people signed, and knowing that capacity should help you to work out whether the registers came from the church or the register office.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 June 18 13:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delayed reply.  The copy says "Married in the Blackbrook Chapel according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Roman Catholic Church by me, James Abraham" and then on the line underneath is says "William Brunskill(?) Registrar"

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 June 18 16:02 BST (UK) »
OK, thanks - that indicates that the registrar was present at the ceremony, and would have brought the register books with him/her.

So the only official marriage register(s) will be at the register office, though there might be an unofficial one at the church or wherever their old registers have been deposited.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 June 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
So I will do as Sloe Gin suggested and contact Prescot Registrars and explain that I have a written copy from 2009 but would they be able to check the name of the witness and the occupation of the bride's father.

cheers, Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie