Author Topic: Another Ancestry DNA horror story  (Read 2807 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Another Ancestry DNA horror story
« on: Monday 04 June 18 19:49 BST (UK) »
I wonder how many who have done the Ancestry DNA test have read this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5803771/Would-trust-Ancestry-DNA-Investigation-reveals-security-concerns-inside-DNA-company.html

and in particular the bit about

According to Winston, Ancestry’s terms and conditions are long, and somewhat boring, but people should read them.

‘They make a big deal of stating that you own your DNA. But they are taking a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free license to do what they want with your DNA and your actual genetic sample that they keep in storage.’

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Another Ancestry DNA horror story
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 June 18 20:35 BST (UK) »
Interesting article, davidft.  :)

I enjoy reading the comments at the Daily Mail, wouldn't trust their stories though!

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 June 18 23:47 BST (UK) »
I gather Wikipedia of all websites won't allow the Daily Mail to be quoted as a source.  Says everything about them really. ::)

And as sugarfizzle says, its always entertaining reading the comments on their articles. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 June 18 23:49 BST (UK) »
I gather Wikipedia of all websites won't allow the Daily Mail to be quoted as a source.  Says everything about them really. ::)

Not really. That's what happens when a politically motivated cabal gains control as they have done with Wikipedia.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
To smudwhisk

And no acclaimed university​ or even 6th Form college will allow quotes from Wikipedia as a source.

Seriously though, it is food for thought what these companies can legally do with your DNA. As someone in my late 60s, rightly or wrongly I had little hesitation in having my DNA tested, and encouraging my husband to do the same - whatever a company does with our DNA it is unlikely hopefully to affect us.

My daughter in her 30s is understandably more hesitant, as her DNA would be around for many years to come, and perhaps more available to those with an ulterior motive.She is unwilling to have hers tested and I can understand why.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 00:53 BST (UK) »
To smudwhisk

And no acclaimed university​ or even 6th Form college will allow quotes from Wikipedia as a source.

Exactly, which is why its amusing that Wikipedia don't allow DM as Wikipedia isn't exactly reliable.

I can't totally understand your daughter's viewpoint.  I've always been sceptical about privacy and security with DNA testing and as someone with an autoimmune condition the fact that some of the companies also provide health testing worries me.  I know Ancestry's T&Cs allow you to opt out but I'm just sceptical about how reliable that is.  Its not that I don't declare it when required but I can just see some insurance companies raising premiums whatever if they knew.  I don't have to declare to the DVLA as it doesn't impact on my ability to drive (its always been easier to drive than walk since it developed) so I don't see why any insurance company needs to know.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 00:54 BST (UK) »

Not really. That's what happens when a politically motivated cabal gains control as they have done with Wikipedia.

Depends on your point of view on the reliability of certain newspapers. :-X  But I'm not getting into a political discussion on that point.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 07:36 BST (UK) »
Interesting article, davidft.  :)

I enjoy reading the comments at the Daily Mail, wouldn't trust their stories though!

Regards Margaret

I totally agree. I select DM articles to read purely on the basis of whether they are likely to have good comments. I often contribute myself.

Martin

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 12:41 BST (UK) »
Whenever there is an article in a newspaper concerning a subject or event of which I have first-hand knowledge, I always see many inaccuracies.

What fills me with wonder is our ability to forget this experience when reading something where we don't have a personal insight. Our initial reaction is to accept it as "fact".
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f