Author Topic: Another Ancestry DNA horror story  (Read 2808 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another Ancestry DNA horror story
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 13:29 BST (UK) »
What disappoints me is that this has become a slag off the Daily Mail thread rather than a discussion of the pitfalls of taking a DNA test with Ancestry.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 14:53 BST (UK) »
David, the issues with Ancestry DNA and privacy came up the other month and got discussed then.  The DM article is a bit late so to speak.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 15:16 BST (UK) »
Fair enough, guess I missed that then.

Still no reason to turn the thread into a Daily Mail bashing thread though, IMO
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 15:21 BST (UK) »
I apologize for derailing your thread, davidft, but I have commented on the contents of the article as well.

There are indeed pitfalls with DNA testing of any sort with any company, witness the Golden State Killer story for one.

Contrary to most people I presume, I did read the t and c's and I don't consider them to be a horror story though the article makes them appear to be so.

The news article has  some inaccuracies in it, as might be expected, so it is perhaps also worth commenting on the paper itself.

No offence meant, I do accept that there are risks in testing, but risks which I personally am willing to take, I certainly have no regrets in testing with ancestry. :)
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go