Author Topic: Catholic Sacraments  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Sacraments
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 06:15 BST (UK) »
It's not in common usage.  We're talking 1930s and 1940s.  It would possibly be frowned on now because of racial connotations.  Have fun with it, though. 

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 06:18 BST (UK) »
It's not in common usage.  We're talking 1930s and 1940s.  It would possibly be frowned on now because of racial connotations.  Have fun with it, though.

I found this definition for "warrigal" - nothing with racial connotations there.  ;) :)

Added: I'd never heard the term either.

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 06:53 BST (UK) »
Aboriginal term for "wild dog" and part of Aboriginal dreamtime stories.  When Warrigul saw the old mundurra raise his tura - his spear - he sprang to his feet and trotted away. The mundurra gave chase but the pace was slow. Neither was swift because of their age. Both were weary from hunger."
I've heard it applied to people referring to wild behaviour. 

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 08:20 BST (UK) »
Aboriginal term for "wild dog" and part of Aboriginal dreamtime stories.  When Warrigul saw the old mundurra raise his tura - his spear - he sprang to his feet and trotted away. The mundurra gave chase but the pace was slow. Neither was swift because of their age. Both were weary from hunger."
I've heard it applied to people referring to wild behaviour.

Ah. Interesting, thanks Jaznjjj.  ;)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
I was born in 1947 and raised in rural NSW, on the Lachlan ... In my childhood experience that word was only ever used in a derogatory sense as a synonym for 'cur' .   If any of my peers had used it ... minimum of mouth washed out with soap or a wallop or ...  It was a worse offence to use that word than most any other word.  It was not slang ... it was swearing.  Not a word used by a girl... and when we heard it in playground as a new word ... and then asked for its meaning ... umm ... a good wallop and too sore to sit down for a while... I heard it in 2nd class and asked my schoolfriend and she didnt know so together we walked to her dad's work and she asked him.  He was the local Crown Sargent.  Both of us learnt lots, including girls can be in trouble for hearing swear words.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
I can see how that would be though it is new to me.  I have the sense that my grandmother used it to mean "wild man" or mischief maker.   I believe it is also a place, and warrigal greens are a vegetable like spinach.   I think it is a topic worth exploring - maybe another word (swear word or otherwise) disappearing from the lexicon.   The word which I was never allowed to use was "knackered".  I have never been able to figure out why.  Thinking back on my childhood (born 1948 in S.A., living later in Lismore, Broken Hill then Sydney) I don't think I every heard the sh.. word or the f.... and other similar horribles but my father used the Great Australian Adjective as if it were punctuation.   

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 10:39 BST (UK) »
The official seven Catholic sacraments are:
Baptism (in infancy, or later if converting to Catholicism)
Reconciliation (confession, penance, forgiveness of sin) (first at c7 yrs)
Eucharist (Holy Communion) (first at c7 yrs)
Confirmation (age c13)
Holy Matrimony
Holy Orders (becoming a priest or nun)
Anointing of the Sick ("extreme unction" - for sick or dying people)

I would guess that the initials B P B E refer to the first three sacraments and may stand for
Baptism
Penitence
Blessing
Eucharist

Philip

I might just add that whilst it certainly was the case in the past to Confirm around age 13, it is usual now (in most dioceses in Australia) that the sacrament of confirmation  is given before the First Eucharist, around age 7, or Grade 2 in school. This article by the Brisbane diocese explains the change quite well.
https://brisbanecatholic.org.au/life/confirmation/

I agree with the abbreviations above, but do find the second "B" a bit odd, can't think why it would not be "C" for Confirmation.

Interesting discussion about the term warrigul. Growing up in Sydney I never heard it used as a child. My Star Trekkie son tells me it is the name of a species of type of dog on Romulus, I wonder where Gene Roddenberry (or whoever) heard the name?

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 11:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  Hopefully, there might be some enlightenment down the track.  I do know more now than when I started so that makes it worthwhile.  J

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
Yes, same banned words ... and of course the  blood(y) nose was the only time anyone could get away with that adjective.  I did not hear the other 3 ("swear") words until I had finished High School and had moved to Sydney, and so I asked my older cousins,  who promptly labelled me "country bumpkin" .. 

ADD

Warrigal .... definitely GAL ending in my childhood ... definitely NOT "gul" ... not a star trek follower but I have phoned the older rellies for thoughts re 1930s 40s usage...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.