Author Topic: Missing entries in the civil marriage index for ABBOTT 1839  (Read 3295 times)

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing entries in the civil marriage index for ABBOTT 1839
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 June 18 10:09 BST (UK) »
Well ... I took a punt, and ordered the 1840 birth certificate for Eliza Abbott registered in Shoreditch - and it is indeed her!  She is illegitimate and her mother's maiden name is Wood.

Born: 19 Apr 1840 (baptism record says 29th) at 47 [Moneyew??] Street Hoxton New Town
Father: Jabez Abbott
Mother: Eliza Wood
Rank or Profession of Father: Farmer
Informant: Eliza Wood, mother, (24) [47 Moneyew Street (crossed out)] Woods Stables Colchester Street Whitechapel
When registered: 18 May 1840 (the day after the baptism)
In the right margin are words "Twenty" and a chopped off word above the signature of the registrar - a correction to the birth date perhaps?

I can no longer assume she died in infancy - in fact, I have a potential record in the 1841 census for her and her mother; but I now dont need to continue the search for a potential marriage for Jabez Abbott.

This is the first civil birth certificate I have seen for an illegitimate child.  The index search result is misleading.  Whether or not the parents are married, Wood is still the mother's maiden name.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 June 18 12:20 BST (UK) »
That’s great news :)

You are right about the danger of inferring too much from an index entry without seeing the full certificate.  There’s a good explanation of the inconsistent treatment of illegitimate births by registrars in the early years of civil registration here (see under Column 4):

www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/births.htm
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Missing entries in the civil marriage index for ABBOTT 1839 [COMPLETED]
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 June 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
I have now answered or rendered irrelevant my original query, so I will declare this COMPLETED.

Thank you all for your input. 

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 June 18 18:55 BST (UK) »
Good news, Clontarf!   Just so you (and others reading this thread) know I contacted FreeBMD re. the 'A' surnames for Marriages March qtr. 1839 beginning with Abercromby - pages headed ABE-ADD - and that with at least 2 common surnames before 'Abercromby' i.e. Abbey and Abbott, it seemed extremely odd.

They replied and agreed it would seem logical but confirmed that when they did the transcriptions ABE-ADD were the first pages under 'A' and that although not visible when you look at the original page they are shown as pages 1 and 2.   They suggested I contact the GRO direct which I duly did.

GRO acknowledged my email and will contact me in due course after investigation.   It's possible there was an omission made when GRO changed from handwritten to typed lists - if that should turn out to be the case one can only hope that they still have copies of the hand-written lists.   If there were earlier entries missing hopefully this error will be corrected.

Will let you know how GRO respond (although I do appreciate that you no longer are after a marriage for said Jabez Abbott).   If there were omissions (and I feel there has to be) then thanks would go to you for highlighting the matter.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 June 18 14:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annette for that initiative.  I will be extremely interested to see what the GRO's response is.