Author Topic: John McKee Cavanakeeran Pomeroy Tyrone  (Read 1095 times)

Offline ron mccoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McKee Cavanakeeran Pomeroy Tyrone
« on: Tuesday 05 June 18 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi All
John McKee (Tithe and Apploment 1829) from Cavanakeeran is I believe my G.G. Grandfather. We know as John McCoy. I would like to be able to find evidence to show this. We know that John McCoy married Mary Gaddiss and had children in Ireland, Margaret, James, Robert, William, Ann and Mary Jane. However Tithe do not show children or wife for John McKee and he has left Pomeroy in 1838 to move to Canada. I am told all birth and death records of that period for Pomeroy have been destroyed. John is a Presbyterian and I believe he moves with his Pastor Rev. David Evans a Seceder, who appears in Canada in 1838. I believe he took a number of parishioners with him. Rev Evans wife is Elizabeth McKee. Has anyone any ideas where I might look to try to make the connection or find more about John McKee? I am at a wall and not sure how to proceed? Thank you for your help.
Cheers
Ron McCoy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John McKee Cavanakeeran Pomeroy Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 12:12 BST (UK) »
Have you tried searching for obituaries, local & church histories in Canada to see if a connection between Elizabeth McKee and John McCoy is mentioned (or indeed anything about their Irish backgrounds)?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ron mccoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your question ,I have followed the bread crumbs as far as I can in Canada. Most records for the Presbyterian church in Upper and Lower Canada are lost or in very bad condition and are in the Canadian Archives and unavailable to anyone who is not an accredited researcher with the archives. The local church has Elizabeth's McKee/Evans and her son James Evans head stone combined with the few documents remaining at the church. These documents show that Rev Evans came to Canada from Pomeroy in 1838 after having preached there for 22 years. He had a congregation of about 300 according to the Presbyterian church in Ulster but sometime around 1838-40 the church drops to about 150. My father related some oral history which makes it likely that our family came with the Evans family and local oral history also says a group came together but all have forgotten the rest of the story. I suspect the link is Rev. Evans and our personal link is Elizabeth McKee. McKee is an alternate spelling for McCoy I understand. I am struggling to make the connection on paper so that the story can be confirmed.  In the big picture these groups helped define the make up and character of Canada today.
Cheers
Ron

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
A History of Congregations in the Presbyterian Church in Ireland 1610-1982 POMEROY "The second minister was Mr. David Evans (lic. Upper Tyrone), He was ordained on 15 Aug.1815 and at first proved an able minister. There were 344 souls in 1833 and the congregation for Regium Donum purposed was rated "second-class" which entitled the minister to receive £46.3.1 yearly from that source. Unfortunately, like his predecessor he proved unstable and was suspended on 2 May 1837 for intemperance. He resigned from the ministry but later sought to be restored, and he emigrated to Canada. After charges at St. Theresa, Richmond, and Kitley between 1841 and 1862 he died at Prescott on 9 Aug. 1864.

Offline ron mccoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 16:38 BST (UK) »
I believe you are correct and if this is so he would have landed in St Therese Quebec in the middle of the Papaneau Rebellion which cost so many lives in Canada. The final battle being fought just a few miles from St. Therese 1839. I think that the political situation and their beliefs probably made some of them move to Richmond Ontario. I am trying to find information from Quebec on the church but so far it has not led me to Elizabeth or John McCoy. Elizabeth and James are buried in Richmond where my family settled. I have eight complete names first and last which appear in and around Cavanakeeran, St. Therese Quebec and Richmond Ontario from 1829 Tithe, to census of 1842 in Canada. There is a host of family names which are found in our area and in Cavanakeeran. This is why I am so sure they are the same people there is so much circumstantial evidence. Thank you for your help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
The details were quoted from the book I mentioned  ;)