Author Topic: Oldest person found in a census?  (Read 35429 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oldest person found in a census?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 00:06 BST (UK) »
The oldest person in my tree was my 3 x great grandfather's younger sister who was 103 when she died according to burial records and newspaper articles on her centenary and death. However baptism and census records show she was born three years earlier, she actually made 100 by four days!
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Greenvale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 07:09 BST (UK) »
Cristeen, if she was born 3 years earlier doesn't that make her 106?
Madden, Cunningham, Webb, Upton, Kinsey, Askew

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 10:35 BST (UK) »
Cristeen, if she was born 3 years earlier doesn't that make her 106?
You spotted my deliberate mistake! Yes she was born 3 years later I believe, certainly baptised 3 years later :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
Not a record breaker but my grandfather had a brother (died at 42) with 5 children. First, female died within one year, second, male died at 43, third, female died at 93, fourth, male died at 68 and fifth, female died at 104.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
Not a record breaker but my grandfather had a brother (died at 42) with 5 children. First, female died within one year, second, male died at 43, third, female died at 93, forth, male died at 68 and fifth, female died at 104.

It's always seemed slightly incredible to me that it's quite possible to have two siblings dying in non-adjacent centuries - e.g. Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother who of course died aged 101 in the C21st but who had an older sister who died in the C19th.

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
I've tried various URL-hack searches for exact years of birth using Ancestry's UK censuses collection (i.e. by manipulating the two highlighted numbers in the search URL https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/categories/1851uki/?birth=1746&birth_x=0-0-0) and found something slightly odd.

For every single census year, there are a surprisingly high number of entries for people aged 105, and zero entries for anyone aged 106 or older.

Census yearAged 105 exactlyAged > 105

Some of these apparent 105-year-olds are certainly mistranscriptions. But strange that there aren't any mistranscriptions coming out at 106, or 110.

I'm wondering why this hard cut-off appears consistently in every transcribed census. My thoughts are that it's either that 105 was a popular number to exaggerate ones own age or the age of an elderly relative to (suitably ancient-sounding but believable?) and/or that Ancestry did some extra checking of any transcribed records with an age of 106 or above to remove obviously-mistranscribed outliers.

The alternative explanation would be that in those years a relatively large number of people did just happen to live to that age and not a year longer...

(In the 1841 census of course you'd expect to see more 105-year-olds because of age rounding.)

I tried the same thing with some of the federal U.S. censuses in FamilySearch and found a very similar odd effect there, except that the age for the hard cut-off appears to be 120(!!) rather than 105... e.g. https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bbirth_year%3A1749-1749~%20%2Brecord_type%3A(3)&collection_id=1438024

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 16:09 BST (UK) »
The date range of my example was between 1862, fathers birth year and 1995, death year of his youngest daughter.

I have two others although not centenarians. In the Overseers records was a charge for a shroud and burial of a 'phile' Griffiths 1757. I assumed for a long time that this referred to a daughter Tacy born in 1747. Turned out not to be so. She died unmarried in 1827. A very bright Rootschatter suggested it was a Philip Griffiths buried at Llantilio Crosseny aged 97. Until mid 18th Century, it was common in our family to be buried in llandogo where the family was firmly established in the late 17th Century, wherever they had gone since.

Another one is a William Edwards born 1779/1780. He married into our family. Couldn't find him in any Censuses until the 1871 the year he died. His son and family lived in Five Acres, West Dean, Mon. (Gloucestershire). He appears as a lodger aged 92.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 06 July 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
I have no centenarians to report; but my great x4 grandfather Anthony Holcomb[e] was born in 1792 and only just failed to make the 1891 census, dying in 1890 at the grand old age of 98!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 06 July 18 12:37 BST (UK) »
The oldest in my tree is a second cousin born 3 March 1901,  died aged 110 on the 5 May 2011.

I don’t intend to compete with him. ;D ;D ;D
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.