Author Topic: John R Battersby, East African Mounted Rifles  (Read 507 times)

Offline eddiekelso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John R Battersby, East African Mounted Rifles
« on: Tuesday 05 June 18 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,
This is my first post on this board, though I have posted on the Ireland Board before.

While researching a WW1 soldier, Lt. Augustus Battersby, Connaught Rangers, who died of dysentery in 1915 in the Cameroons, I came across a reference to his brother John Radcliffe Battersby, serving in the East African Rifles.

Out of curiosity I had a look at what I think is John's Medal Roll Card. This shows he served in 2 Regiments - the East African M. Rifles & East African V.L. Firstly, can anyone confirm the correct title of his regiments - I think the "M" might be "Mounted", and the "L" may be "Lancers", but I am stuck on the "V".

His MRC also shows "Reduced to the Ranks 7.9.15   19F" - I am curious as to what happened! Presumably a Court Martial, would the record be available? Does 19F refer to a particular offence?

Augustus and John were sons of a Barrister & QC/KC, and probably would have been considered as "Landed Gentry" - the family owned a large house & considerable land in Co. Westmeath, Ireland. Augustus was a Curate in the Church of Ireland, based in Antrim, but left the Church when he was gazetted to the Connaught Rangers as a 2nd LT. I assume because of his family connections the same would have applied to John.

I have no connection to the Battersby family - I am researching Augustus as part of a project to list & research all those from Antrim & surrounding area who served during WW1. I am a member of 1st Antrim Somme Association.
Kelso, McDowell, Kerr, Gamble, Harkins, Nelson (Kinallen, Dromara - 1st Dromara Presbyterian Church).
Kempton, Artt, Boon, Murray (Cookstown, Co. Tyrone)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John R Battersby, East African Mounted Rifles
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 17:00 BST (UK) »
M is indeed Mounted.

V is actually a "U" - East Africa Unattached List.  This would indicate him being posted away to a job unconnected with the Mounted Rifles, perhaps in a headquarters somewhere.

His card suggests he reached the rank of sergeant and was busted to private soldier..I doubt the 19F is of any significance now.  Only his service record which does not appear to have survived would give the reason.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline eddiekelso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John R Battersby, East African Mounted Rifles
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 18:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Max - that's very helpful. As I said, just curious about being reduced to the ranks!!
Kelso, McDowell, Kerr, Gamble, Harkins, Nelson (Kinallen, Dromara - 1st Dromara Presbyterian Church).
Kempton, Artt, Boon, Murray (Cookstown, Co. Tyrone)