Author Topic: Who Do You Think You Are? Series 15, Episode 1: Michelle Keegan  (Read 6290 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Who Do You Think You Are? Series 15, Episode 1: Michelle Keegan
« on: Tuesday 05 June 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Just come across the fact that the first episode of series 15 is to be broadcast tomorrow!

Details here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007t575/broadcasts/upcoming

It is Michelle Keegan's episode which apparently features a connection to the suffragettes.

Broadcast tomorrow (Weds 6th June) 9.00pm on BBC1, the link above also shows broadcast details for Wales & Scotland!

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do You Think You Are? Series 15, Episode 1 Broadcast Info!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 21:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that David. I realised that I wouldn't be able to see the programme tonight here in Scotland but it was only when I saw your post and followed the link I learned of the transmission for us WDYTYA addicts north of the border.
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 21:29 BST (UK) »
Just spotted this, only missed the first half :)
Telly's intermittent, but luckily it worked! 

But I have no idea ..... who she is .... what the story was up to this point.

Oh well... better to watch half an hour and not know what's going on than to miss it all :)
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline sleepybarb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 22:22 BST (UK) »
No I didn’t know who she was either,but it was quite interesting. Especially the Suffragette part .
    Barb
Briscoe-Midlands-Birmingham and Worcs.
Bragg-Birmingham.
Rayworth-Birmingham
Piper and Bevan Worcs and Herefordshire
Taylor -Birmingham

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 23:20 BST (UK) »
Celebrities certainly aren't what they were.

Martin

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do You Think You Are? Series 15, Episode 1: Michelle Keegan
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 June 18 08:43 BST (UK) »
At least this one was different.

Agreed 'celebrity ' is stretching it a bit but she did have an interesting and very different family history.

The church was outstanding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santo_Stefano_(Genoa)
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 June 18 15:49 BST (UK) »
I was a little confused about this one.  It was advertised as being about the Suffragettes but her Great Grandmother was shown on the census as a Suffragist.  It was assumed that this meant she was a Suffragette and a piece followed about the Suffragettes. 

I thought the aim was the same for Suffragettes and Suffragists but Suffragists were not militant and didn't break the law.  Why was it assumed that she was militant and the census was wrong?

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 June 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
I was a little confused about this one.  It was advertised as being about the Suffragettes but her Great Grandmother was shown on the census as a Suffragist.  It was assumed that this meant she was a Suffragette and a piece followed about the Suffragettes. 

I thought the aim was the same for Suffragettes and Suffragists but Suffragists were not militant and didn't break the law.  Why was it assumed that she was militant and the census was wrong?

Rishile
I thought exactly the same and some how because Emmaline Pankhurst was the registrar for her grandmother's birth, her gt gran became a militant suffragette!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline halhawk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 June 18 17:53 BST (UK) »

I thought exactly the same and some how because Emmaline Pankhurst was the registrar for her grandmother's birth, her gt gran became a militant suffragette!

I suspect the programme was making use of the fact that most people will have heard of the Suffragettes, and that there was the useful link to Emmeline to attach the story to.  I think that not even all members of the WSPU would have called themselves Suffragettes, and probably some women who were not WSPU might have qualified as Suffragettes under the 'popular' definition of the time.

I just did 2 quick searches of the 1911 census using just the keyword 'suffragist' and then 'suffragette', and there looks to be some interesting entries there.  When I have more time I'll look in more detail.  One thing that interests me is how many men may have recorded their wives/sisters/daughters as suffragist/suffragettes.  (BTW don't try 'suffrage' as a keyword - there was a street in Smethwick, Worcs called Suffrage Street! :o )
BARNES - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
FORD - Gloucestershire
FROWEN - Gloucestershire; Canada (Ontario)
HAWKINS - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean), Canada, Australia, South Africa
HAYNES - Gloucestershire
KNIGHT - Deerhurst, Gloucestershire
MAYO - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
PAYNE - Frome, Somerset; Stroud, Gloucestershire
PRIDAY - Gloucestershire, Australia
SHIPWAY - Stroud, Gloucestershire