Author Topic: Who Do You Think You Are? Series 15, Episode 1: Michelle Keegan  (Read 6286 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do You Think You Are? Series 15, Episode 1: Michelle Keegan
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 June 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
I suspect the programme was making use of the fact that most people will have heard of the Suffragettes
...also making use of the fact that the subject starred in a series starting on BBC on 5 Jun.

I found the subject & episode boring & once again major leaps in interpretation taken. As well as her ancestor being rightly or wrongly cast as a militant suffragette', her g g grandmother came from Gibraltar 'on her own' but actually with hundreds of other Gibraltarian [?correct word] women with their children. And once again her 'roots' were in Genoa where her 7 x great grandfather was born [and those before him as well] - notwithstanding she has 255 others. And what about the brief glance we had of ancestors from Portugal, Minorca etc? I know they can't be all followed but for the script to say one place is where the 'roots' are is misleading - and to me it obviously was so scripted.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 June 18 23:37 BST (UK) »
I caught up with this episode tonight on iplayer. I found it quite interesting despite not knowing who this young lady is. I too thought it was a bit of a leap to assume that the suffragist was militant. Good on her though for putting that as her occupation on the census return but, to me,  it does not necessarily imply she was militant. I too have a couple of certificates signed by E Pankhurst.  The informant on one was my great grandmother and I thought to myself, oh wow she must have met Ms P when she went to the Chorlton-on-Medlock registrar's office but I did not question whether that meant my great grandmother was a suffragist or suffragette, why would it? As someone else pointed out it did feel rather scripted.
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 June 18 17:12 BST (UK) »
Agree with comments that it was quite a leap to suppose that the ancestor was a 'Suffragette', just because she described herself as a 'Suffragist' in 1911.
It's even possible that she was oppposed to the Suffragettes, especially as they had very little  support from the more trade union inclined working class.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 June 18 18:30 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed this programme, like others I'd never even heard of the young woman who was the subject of the programme, it was a change to go to Spain and Italy, and refreshing.
Like others I felt that the poor suffragist was dragged in to the issue, because of the centenary ... As far as I understand it, suffragists, both male and female campaigned for a vote for women, but suffragettes were female and very much more like modern rebel organisations, prepared to use force and violence to attain their ends.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 June 18 23:46 BST (UK) »
I havent read responses to the show, cos I havent watched it....

Well I was away when it was on ..  So it didnt get taped.

So now my only option to watch it is on I player.. BUT no subs..  I cannot watch TV without the subs especially with accents..

so  :-[ :-X :-X

When is the next one does any one know?

xin in a bad mood

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 June 18 09:01 BST (UK) »
I'd suggest they highlighted the suffragette angle for the 100 year anniversary of females getting the vote

6 Feb 1918 It was called the Representation of People Act 1918.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 June 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
So now my only option to watch it is on I player.. BUT no subs..  I cannot watch TV without the subs especially with accents..
xin in a bad mood
Subtitles are available on iPlayer whether you Download or Watch Online.

Down the bottom right-hand corner there is a speech-bubble icon which lets you switch them on and off. You can even choose the size of text.

If you watch on a "smart" TV, or a Freeview box, the usual subtitle button on your remote should work.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 June 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
Oh  brilliant thank you Andrew... will check that out. oh dear me... after all my moaning,if it was a case of me not checking it out again...properly   MY OH will shoot me..

ha ha  xin

Sorry no joy

it must be me..

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 June 18 19:38 BST (UK) »
Xin - I found it! (not very good at symbols.) It is a squarish symbol under the time line at the bottom right. It doesn't say what it is.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire