Author Topic: When you can't quite prove two people are one and the same...  (Read 18052 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: When you can't quite prove two people are one and the same...
« Reply #135 on: Saturday 07 July 18 13:49 BST (UK) »
Just a thought .. did your Jane die in North/South Tyneside?  If so, Martin, if you wish to give me the details  at some point in next few weeks I could try to find burial which could help to find a death notice/memoriams.

I can access South Tyneside notices, for example which are not yet on-line.

Sometimes these are good for providing more details on previous family background.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Saturday 07 July 18 21:12 BST (UK) »
Just a thought .. did your Jane die in North/South Tyneside?  If so, Martin, if you wish to give me the details  at some point in next few weeks I could try to find burial which could help to find a death notice/memoriams.

I can access South Tyneside notices, for example which are not yet on-line.

Sometimes these are good for providing more details on previous family background.
   I can answer that for Martin, Bonny Lass.    Jane didn't remain in Shields.   The 1911 census has her in Hartlepool and the places of birth for subsequent children tell us that she moved on to Richmond, Yorks, then Barnard Castle before finally staying in Hartlepool.
Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail 30 December 1931
DEATHS
LEGGETT - At the Hartlepools Hospital, on Dec. 29th, Jane Leggett, aged 72 years, of 20 South Parade. - Service at St.Aidan's. January 1st at 3.0 p.m.
    She was 31 in 1891 which is why we focussed on finding a birth for her circa 1860, but 39 in 1901, then 51 in 1911 and finally 72 at the end of 1931.    So perhaps we should have been looking more at a birth in 1859. 
     Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Sunday 08 July 18 09:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for answering this Malcolm.  What a shame I won't be able to help out with memoriams then.  These are often good clues in revealing who their relatives were.

I agree with you though that it is far too soon for Martin to give up on this - I think that there is still a good chance he will find the answer to this one day.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Sunday 08 July 18 22:01 BST (UK) »

I agree with you though that it is far too soon for Martin to give up on this - I think that there is still a good chance he will find the answer to this one day.

Yes and I have seen so many amazing things happen that have given us what we've been looking for.    As an example and this in no way helped find something we didn't know.    Some months ago on one of the Consett Heritage facebook forums someone reported finding names and a date cut into their floor boards when they had old tiles lifted.    The full insciption carved into that floor had in large capital letters 'EDITH AND ERNEST BONELL 1935'.    These were my great aunt and great uncle, Edith being the younger sister of my grandma Isabella Dent.     I remember going to their house a number of times which was along or just off Medomsley Road, so must have been in that very house where the names are carved.   Malcolm
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Monday 09 July 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
I just saw the Probate Calendar for 1931.  It lists the death of Jane Ann Adamson, East Rainton. 

It doesn't prove that this was the Jane born in Rainton in 1860, but it is worth noting.  FreeBMD lists a Jane Ann Adamson, aged 78 dying in Houghton.  The '78' suggests she wasn't born in 1860, though.

'My' Jane Adamson was recorded as dying aged 71, as Jane Leggett in Dec 1931.  I have always  believed that death cert ages are LIKELY to be more reliable than census dates, but still not 100% reliable.

Martin

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Monday 09 July 18 20:40 BST (UK) »
The Jane Adamson of Rainton would be the one who in 1881 was Innkeeper at the Bull & Dog Inn at Rainton.   She shows up as being born St.Oswald's Durham aged 60 which gives us a big difference between being 78 in 1931.    I've seen so many age variations, but rarely as much as 7 years.   Nevertheless I don't doubt that they are one and the same.   

The newspaper which gave Jane's age as 72 in December 1931 is only one year out from what you have Martin, and that is easily explained by someone else in the family giving the age when placing the notice.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
Earlier in this thread I said,

"In 1881 looks like Jane was a servant with a family in Shildon.   Birthplace given as Spennymoor but that would be the district for Tudhoe, they're right next door.   Age is given as 18 which is about 2 years out."

I now see I know see that there is a Jane Adamson born at about the right time, where the mother is named as Laverick . This is the name of the family with whom this Jane was living as a servant in 1881. I'm still trying to decide how this changes things.  If this Jane was the Jane born in 1860,  and she was related to the family for whom she was working in 1881, I think they would have got her age correct. This makes me think she is not my Jane.

In 1858 a John Adamson married and Elizabeth Laverick. Perhaps this Jane is their child.   Perhaps the Laverick family with whom she is living, are relatives of Elizabeth. I'd be interested in any further comments.

Martin

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,

I'd already questioned whether the Jane aged 18 in 1881 was 'your' Jane - see below.  Personally I don't think she is, and 'your' Jane is therefore still to be found.

Sorry if I'm going over old ground here, but returning to the 1881 census for the Jane Adamson aged 18 born Spennymoor - have you ruled out this being the Jane Adamson mmn Laverick born Q4 1861? 

This Jane had a sister named Martha born in 1868, which leads to a family in Whitworth in 1871 with daughter Jane shown as aged 7, born Tudhoe.   She seems to have married Alfred William Holliday in 1883, and the census has her age as 28, 38, 48 - so a good match for the Jane aged 18 in 1881.    The 1901 census also has PoB as Spennymoor.

Either way we seem to have two Jane Adamsons born Tudhoe 1860/61, but I can only find one in the 1881 census.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
Jomot, apologies. I think I must have subconsciously remembered you pointing that out!   I even visited Shildon last week while on holiday in the area.

Martin