Author Topic: When you can't quite prove two people are one and the same...  (Read 17861 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: When you can't quite prove two people are one and the same...
« Reply #99 on: Monday 25 June 18 13:27 BST (UK) »
My busy weekend which I mentioned earlier involved meeting a half cousin, we had the same grandmother, at the end of her European holiday, just before she flew back to Australia. She found me two and a half years ago by searching for names which I mentioned on my website. We had a wonderful meeting full of frivolous talk and more focused family history chat. I knew my grandmother quite well  in my teenage years,  but she kept  her earlier years very quiet.  She gave birth to my father,  but he was secretly brought up by my grandmother's parents. We always thought the grandmother was his older sister, it was through my half cousins research that the truth came out. Now back to Jane Adamson.

From reading all the earlier comments, along with my own research, and gut feeling, I do believe the Adamsons and Jenkinsons are inextricably linked, but I still struggle with trying to identify a Jane Adamson born somewhere that could conceivably be called the city centre.  I haven't yet had a reply from the Tyne and Wear archives.

Martin

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Monday 25 June 18 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,   It is always something wonderful when you find and/or discovered by a long lost cousin through family research.    It is also a bit sad when you think about how these discoveries could have gladdened the hearts of mothers and grandmothers had they only been found earlier on.   What makes it worse for me is that in 1956 I stayed for nearly a year with friends in Melbourne, and those lost cousins waiting to be found were only just doors away, and my Mum never knew until some of them were deceased.    That was not to be the only time that I found myself living close, even right next door to cousins.   We found out then because my son John exchanged names with the friends he was playing with in the street and they were all Hutton's.     Many years later when those young cousins had grown up, we were moving from Melbourne to Cairns and when the trucks turned up with containers to be loaded, who should the removal men be but two of those cousins.

As I've pointed out before, these aren't coincidences.   Something we don't understand is at play causing them to happen.   That is why your gut feeling is so important.   It is more than a subconscious notion, this is your psychic ability at play.   Far too often we pass it off as a mere intuition, but it is much more.

Not sure if I mentioned it before, but back in the early 1980's when I was searching for lost cousins in Melbourne for someone in Bradford, Yorkshire, I stood by the grave I had just found and was at a 'dead' end, and so I asked out loud for help to find his family.    I was heard!     His grand-daughter came into our travel agency less than a week later and asked for help with a passport application, and when given her maiden name, out it all came.    Two months later that lady was able to call in and see her lost cousin in England.

I also feel very strongly that Jane Adamson of South Shields 1889/1993 was somehow related to the Jenkison's of Filey and thus the Hunmanby Adamson's.     We can't ignore it, but have to push on and find them all.

I don't suppose you have any memento handed down from those Leggett children of Hartlepool?   Just handling such an article could open up some channel with an answer at the end.  Unfortunately all the homes Jane lived in at South Shields and in Hartlepool have all gone, with newer homes in their place, or even an open space.

Have you ever visited George's grave site?    If not, well you never know!

One thing that now seems to be obvious, we cannot find trace of a Jane Adamson in any census earlier than 1891 that fills the bill.    She has to be in some of them and so it could be another wrong name tanscription, or what we know she did later on.    When living with George she used his name even though they weren't married.   What's to say she didn't do that before Henry Thompson?     There may be some way to solve this, but first I think I shall look very closely at the Harper's and Jenkinson's in Durham City.

Cheers Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 06:08 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder how long it will take you ?

Could you give a time line of findings so far so those of us not connected can continue to follow the story.

Happy hunting .   

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 06:43 BST (UK) »
Well Brigid,  I had to try and get the family sequence of the Admason Jenkinson's straight in my mind.  What we do know is that George Daniel Leggett was a visitor staying with John Adamson Jenkinson in Acclom Street Hartlepool in 1911, while his de facto wife Jane Adamson/Thompson/Leggett was at that time not far away at 174 Alma Street.

From this it does appear that there was some relationship between Jane Adamson born 1860 and the much younger John Adamson Jenkinson.

I've worked it out on a small tree.    But that still leaves us with the mystery of what connection there actually was from this lot to Jane Adamson born 1860.

One thought was that she could be a grand-daughter of John and Jane Adamson in the tree.   However that would presumably require a male son to this couple to carry the family name - but you never know!   Might be an illegitimate birth there somewhere.     I did find a John Adamson baptised in Hull in 1819, so a possibility as it is only just down the coast from Hunmanby.   However John and Jane only married in 1821.

We know Henry Thompson must have died in 1890 only months after his marriage to Jane.  The only one with that name and anywhere near the age of 71 in 1889 was the death of a Henry Thompson at Belford in 1890 - but aged 74 years.    Now that age does correspond with the Henry Thompson who was born at Warden near Hexham, but lived in Whickham as a butler and later on a Coal Agent in Tynemouth.    So what was he doing so far away from his new wife when he Kaaked it?    One clue is that the two witnesses to the marriage of Henry to Jane Adamson came from families - one Thompson - who were from Dunstan and that is up the coast, but not quite as far as Belford.

There were heaps of Adamson families in the City of Durham and though I cannot identify any of them with a Jane of the right age, it does look like she belonged to one of them.

Malcolm

Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 06:47 BST (UK) »
 Something else that I didn't get around to adding to that small tree was that John Adamson and his wife Jane had a daughter Jane Adamson baptised August 1829 in Hunmanby.

What happened to her?    Did she marry...have an illegitimate daughter called Jane...appear in any census from 1841 onwards?
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 15:50 BST (UK) »
We know Henry Thompson must have died in 1890 only months after his marriage to Jane.  The only one with that name and anywhere near the age of 71 in 1889 was the death of a Henry Thompson at Belford in 1890 - but aged 74 years

Henry Thompson died 26 January 1891 at 68 Morton Street, South Shields, Administration of his estate was granted to Jane.  This may be his death:
THOMSON, HENRY aged 74  GRO Ref: 1891  M Quarter in SOUTH SHIELDS  Volume 10A  Page 431
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 16:49 BST (UK) »
Jomot, this is just to clarify things.

We already know the information you just added, from my posting, Sunday 10 June 18 22:52 BST (UK).

Henry Thompson was definitely married to my great grandmother, but the problem is that we can't tie her back to any earlier events.

Martin

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,

Yes, I know that, but Malcolm had posted the following, so I was clarifying for his benefit

We know Henry Thompson must have died in 1890 only months after his marriage to Jane.  The only one with that name and anywhere near the age of 71 in 1889 was the death of a Henry Thompson at Belford in 1890 - but aged 74 years.    Now that age does correspond with the Henry Thompson who was born at Warden near Hexham, but lived in Whickham as a butler and later on a Coal Agent in Tynemouth.    So what was he doing so far away from his new wife when he Kaaked it?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Jomot, I understand now!  He died 26th January 1891.

18:02 UPDATE:  I THINK I can accept that the Jane Adamson of Tudhoe MIGHT NOT be our one.  The only thing that makes me have doubts is the Edward Adamson, Engineer statement on her marriage to Henry Thompson.  But would she or the registrar say 'Edward Adamson' when he was really Edwin Potter?  I've never heard of Edwin being an affectionate form of Edward.  Or vice versa.

But I can't find ANOTHER Edward Adamson, Engineer.

Martin