Author Topic: When you can't quite prove two people are one and the same...  (Read 18051 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: When you can't quite prove two people are one and the same...
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 21:34 BST (UK) »
The 1920 electoral registers for Hartlepool show the following:

14 Milton Road, Hartlepool - LEGGETT, Jane, Ernest Victor & George Daniel

Schools Cottage - LEGGETT, George Daniel

Jomot, I somehow missed your comment. That George Daniel Leggett is almost definitely his son, born 1895.

Hi Martin,

There are two separate George Daniel Leggett's mentioned - one at Milton Road with Jane (I assumed this was the son) and the other at Schools Cottage.   The death notice had his address as School House, Lister Street, which may be the same property.

The George Daniel Leggett at the Schools Cottage was 83 the following year when he died!

Cemetery Registers, Hartlepool District - Record Number: 1143940.12
Cemetery: Stranton Grange Cemetery
Denomination: any
28 Feb 1921 George Daniel Leggett, of School House, Lister Street, age: 83
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 21:40 BST (UK) »
Malcolm, in your Saturday 09 June 18 22:51 BST (UK) Post, you mentioned George Boynton Leggett. I didn't notice that, but he died in childhood. He can be disregarded.

On the marriage certificate for Jane's marriage to Henry Thompson she lists her father has Edward Adamson, engineer, and herself as spinster.  I do accept that for a young woman to be still single, spinster, at 29 in those days, is a little bit unusual, but perhaps she was just choosy!

Martin

I've been so deep in another search during the last few days it is taking me time to bring back all thoughts on Jane.    However I think I brought up the George Boynton Leggett because it connected his mother to Mary Boynton.

I don't think you mentioned the name of her father on the Marriage certificate before, Martin, so were in the dark on that one.   

Cheers Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 22:11 BST (UK) »
Malcolm, I didn't want to put words into your mouth, so to speak.  I wanted to see if you reach similar conclusions to me.  I am still undecided if 'Tudhoe'  Jane is 'Hartlepool' Jane.  As of today I have proof that she was definitely landlady of the General Jackson pub in Hartlepool.  The building number on an electoral roll matched her daughter's birth cert.

Which way do you swing so far?

Martin

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin, out of interest, do you have the birth certificate for 'Tudhoe Jane'?   The District for Tudhoe at the time was Durham so I assume it's this one:

ADAMSON, JANE (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1860  M Quarter in DURHAM  Volume 10A  Page 261

It would be interesting to know what her actual place of birth was, rather than just what is said in the census.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 21 June 18 10:34 BST (UK) »
Jomot,
Yes, it came yesterday.  She was born in the Black Horse Inn, Tudhoe, in the Parish of St Oswald.  Tudhoe is at the extreme south of the parish, near Croxdale.  I am now a LITTLE bit more convinced that she is Hartlepool Jane.  The parish church is in the heart of Durham City, five miles north of Tudhoe.  Or am I just clutching at straws?

The early census forms would have been completed by her parents, then, when she is an adult, PERHAPS she referred to the position of the baptismal church when she completed the census?  George Leggett was illiterate.

What are your views now?

Martin

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 21 June 18 11:09 BST (UK) »
I think there is a high likelihood that they are the same person. 

One thing that struck me on the GRO copy of the marriage certificate, from a tree on Ancestry, is that the name 'Edward' looks like it's been written in afterwards, so it's possible that the original does say Edwin but is badly written.  It's a small detail but an important one, as illegitimate children often used a step-father's forename & occupation on a marriage certificate.  Have you been able to get hold of the original church copy?

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 21 June 18 12:20 BST (UK) »
Jomot, that is an interesting observation.  Again, I'm trying to be totally neutral.  'Edward' (at the right end of the image) does look a little bit squeezed in, and possibly even with a different pen, (or possibly needing dipping in ink), and Adamson is a little bit higher, but then I noticed that all the surnames are a fraction higher.  I've attached a copy for the enjoyment of others.  I might be able to visit the actual church later this year.

For what it is worth, I think Tudhoe Jane and Hartlepool Jane are the same, but not all the family share my view, and I agree that it is not conclusive enough for me.  YET.

The fact that Tudhoe Jane was raised by Edwin Potter, former blacksmith (probably a colliery blacksmith, not a 'horseshoe' blacksmith) and contractor, married to Anne Adamson, and Hartlepool Jane names her father as an engineer does a lot to swing it for me, but I want more.  (I assume that either the registrar assumed her father was called Adamson, rather than Potter, or perhaps Jane said it was Adamson to appear 'more respectable'.  She appears as Adamson on the Potter census entries, even though Edwin Potter married Anne Adamson.

Martin

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 21 June 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
According to their User Guide the registers for Queen Street Chapel are with Tyne & Wear Archives - might be worth seeing if they can send you a digital copy?

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 21 June 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
Jomot,
Thank you, I will look into this.  Would that clinch it for you, if it was blank or Edwin?

Martin