Author Topic: When you can't quite prove two people are one and the same...  (Read 18031 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: When you can't quite prove two people are one and the same...
« Reply #81 on: Friday 22 June 18 01:46 BST (UK) »
 Yes that look's pretty certain and means we still have to find Jane in 1881 at least.     For what its worth I came across a Martha Adamson age 23 in 1891 working as a Servant to a Bruce family in Middlesbrough.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Friday 22 June 18 02:09 BST (UK) »
Did we ever establish whether Adamson may have been Jane's married name by an earlier marriage?   Did she say 'Spinster' on her marriage to Henry Thompson?    For instance there was a Jane Hutchinson who married Jacob Adamson 2nd qtr of 1881 in Durham, and looks like he may have died in 1887.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Friday 22 June 18 02:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, her marriage certificate in 1889 says Jane Adamson spinster aged 29, and the birth certificate for the first Leggett child has her as Leggett late Thompson formerly Adamson.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Friday 22 June 18 05:50 BST (UK) »
    Let's try a different tack, since we are sailing against the prevailing winds.    In 1911 Jane was one of 8 people in her family residing at 174 Alma Street, West Hartlepool and although someone has written 'Husband Away' across this page,  he was hardly more than a few sheets to windward.   At this very same time George was staying with John Adamson Jenkinson at 29 Acclom Street.    I have found them both on an old map of Hartlepool and they are not too far apart.    So was George just in from the sea and staying with a relative of Jane's because there was no room at the Inn, or were they really separated?    If so then wouldn't she have got to know from John Adamson Jenkinson?

I have tracked J A J in the past to his family in Filey, but never as yet found how he got his middle name.   I think that is paramount now, and you never know, finding his Adamson family may lead us to Jane's.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Friday 22 June 18 07:00 BST (UK) »
   A rather odd coincidence, except I do not believe in Coincidences.   They are managed somehow.

I was deep in the search for the wives of Edmond Jenkinson, father of John ADAMSON Jenkinson, when I had to let the nurse out who had just called to dress Ilse's heel blister.   At the door she asked me how Ilse's name is pronounced, and she had thought it was 'Elsa' which she recalled from a Movie.  I thought she meant 'Born Free' about the Lion, 'Elsa', but she didn't know that movie and was thinking of another.

When I returned to computer I took a look at the IMDB page on Born Free and yes the Lion was called 'Elsa', but the main characters were Joy and George ADAMSON.

This tells me that I am on the right track.    Edmond Jenkinson married twice - first of all to Nancy Jenkinson in 1860 but she died in 1863 and he then married Jane Harper in 1865.   John Adamson Jenkinson was born in Filey in 1867.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Friday 22 June 18 08:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your continued efforts.  I am working through your comments and suggestions.

Martin

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Friday 22 June 18 21:25 BST (UK) »
We are getting somewhere Martin.   Just before I gave up late yesterday I found what seems to be the connection between the Jenkinson's of Filey and some Adamson's anyway.     Sent it to my fellow blood hound and she has discovered a bit more which I have yet to examine.

Just look at the 1881 census for 119 Chapel Lane Filey.   There you will find Head of family a Robert Colley age 55 with wife Betsey Colley age 58, along with 9 year old grand-daughter Mary J. Jenkinson and Mother-in-law Jand Adamson age 89.   

From this I guess that Betsey's maiden name was Adamson and possibly she had a sister who married a Jenkinson.

Like I said I don't believe in coincidences, so the fact that George Legget was visiting John Adamson Jenkinson in 1891 and the said John Adamson was from Filey, with George's de facto wife Jane Adamson living not far away, must surely mean something.

We need to look closer at the Adamson family who were in Hunmanby near Filey in 1841.   At that time John and Jane Adamson did have a daughter Betsey living with them.

Liklihood is that that Betsey's sister married a Jenkinson and they went to Durham City.   George's wife Jane could even have been Jane Adamson Jenkinson thought that is possibly stretching ideas a bit far.    Nevertheless it remains a possibility.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Friday 22 June 18 21:55 BST (UK) »
Malcolm , This sounds really good. I could find no connection between John Adamson Jenkinson and anyone who could have given him his middle name, despite looking at Hunmanby. I have a very busy weekend ahead but I will try and look into this as much as I can but certainly no later than Monday. You and the bloodhound are amazing.

Martin

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Friday 22 June 18 22:14 BST (UK) »
I'm fOllowingthis with interest

I don't think the fact that George loggers daughter recorded him as deceased in 1915 is a big problem   she may not have known.he was still alive .

Interesting that his 1st daughter also had middle name of Adamson 
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson