Author Topic: Degree Subject at Armstrong College, Newcastle around 1910  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Degree Subject at Armstrong College, Newcastle around 1910
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 July 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

Sorry, I've been side tracked with an event for my scout group to do with Fred Greenacre, if you saw yesterday's Journal or tonight's chronicle you'll know all about it.

Contacting the university is still on my to do list, getting to the archive is a real problem for me because of their opening times but I haven't given up.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 July 18 17:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Michael, its not that important I was just wondering if the uni or the archives were my best bet. (not the same uni or archives in my case but its a similar query)

In time honoured fashion I'll email every avenue I can think of in the hope that one of them will be able to help :-) Email costs nothing and shy bairns get nowt!

Don't think they sell the Chronicle or Journal here in Scotland but I'll have a nosey online :-)

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 July 18 09:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry Michael, completely slipped my mind I asked about him for you when researching for another Roots Chatter at the archives a while back.  The staff were a bit nonplussed about where information might be.  Perhaps because I put them on the spot or because of the way I asked maybe, who knows.

Perhaps write to them about this.  If they can tell you what records may be available pertaining to him, of course I would be willing to look things up for you.

I know it can be hard for some people (like you)to visit because of work hours - I work shifts which can make things easier.  I wish hours there were more user friendly for workers e.g one evening or Saturday morning occasionally.

Hope the Scout event went well, Michael. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline slaw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 July 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
My husband's grt grt grandfather was at St Andrews University 1824 to 1828 they emailed me all his details.
Edwards Llanfyllin Wales Evans LLanfyllin Wales
Salmon(Lawrence)b.1847 Monaghan Ireland
Salmon(lawrence)1869 Darlington, died Stockton on Tees
Duffey Staffordshire
Morris LLanfyllin, David Edwards 1779 Llanrhaiader Wales

Online alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 July 18 12:22 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking in the Newspaper archives?  Degrees were fairly rare in those days, especially 1st class ones.  Quite often, newspapers  printed lists of names of successful individuals who had passed exams of various sorts , not only at degree level.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 July 18 12:26 BST (UK) »
My husband's grt grt grandfather was at St Andrews University 1824 to 1828 they emailed me all his details.

Thank you, will try emailing the university. Well, I will as soon as I find which uni she attended, at the mo all I have is a note that she had a B.Sc.
But , up to a couple of weeks ago I didn't know anything much about this lady after she was about 8 years old. I have now discovered that she became a nun and her order has sent me the limited info they have for her. She was based in various convents up and down the UK at different times so I'll pick the most likely area and start there.

Baby steps may well get me there eventually :-)

Boo

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 July 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
To go back to the original question, he was only at Armstrong College for a year, it was then requisitioned to become a hospital, and he then enlisted.

He was not old enough, according to his biography, to complete the three years for a degree, so i wonder if 1st Bsc refers to his having completed and passed his first year exams, otherwise, even then he would be writing his education as Bsc hons

Mike

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 July 18 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been able to get on for a while.

Boo, I agree with you about the emails, I really must get myself in gear and get one sent, a nun in the family is an interesting find though.

River Tyne Lass, maybe you did just catch them at a bad time. They have always been helpful with me although I think I've only managed to get in there about 4 times in the last 10 years so I can't really say if that's usual although I don't think I'd be that lucky. I'm sure there must have been a reason.

Slaw, that's a promising response, maybe I'll be lucky as well.

Alpine Cottage, I have done a newspaper search but didn't come across anything to do with the degree, however I will look again as that's not what I was looking for first time around.

Mazi, I didn't know about the college being requisitioned although to be fair I didn't anything about the college.

I'll post the bit of his record showing what he had told them. When I was looking for this I've noticed that he has put one of his professors as a reference so surely he wasn't exaggerating his qualification?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 July 18 22:33 BST (UK) »
That makes me even more convinced that he is referring to having passed his first year Bsc.
It will be recognised by other universities should he want to continue his studies, alas he never got the chance.

It is the major hurdle in a university education, after that you have to be very very bad to fail, subsequent exams just decide whether you get a first class degree or a second.

Mike