Author Topic: completed SIMMONDS/BAYLEY marriage 1864  (Read 870 times)

Offline jtpoutdoor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
completed SIMMONDS/BAYLEY marriage 1864
« on: Tuesday 05 June 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Is anyone able to look up the about shropshire (?shrewsbury) marriage.
I have found it in various lists of civil registrations but what I am after is the actual church record- preferably showing Sarah Bayley's fathers name as well as Richards father.
Richard was my gggrandfather. He and a Sarah had five children - the first (my ggf) Richard b 1854. I have not been able to find a marriage for Richard SIMMONDS the elder to anyone before the birth of the first child. They appear in the 1861 census as Richard and Sarah SIMMONDS along with 6 year old Richard and 2 year old John. There were a couple of daughters born subsequently. And Sarah SIMMONDS age and PoB (madely) do not change from 1861 in the subsequent census (through to 1881)
In 1864 a Richard SIMMONDS married a Sarah BAYLEY. I do not know if this was a second marriage for Richard or if they really did leave marrying until AFTER all the children were born!
Another family member has had some research done which shows Sarah BAYLEY as the mother of Richard Simmonds junior but I haven't been able to confirm this. Richard was a very popular name amongst the Simmonds families and it could be a completely unrelated Richard who married sarah Bayley (which doesn;t help me find the real Sarah of course :-) )
Richard seniors parents are believed to be Richard (but of course!) (ex army) and Ann.

Any assistance gratefully received!
Jane

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SIMMONDS/BAYLEY marriage 1864
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 00:59 BST (UK) »
GRO shows the birth registration of Richard Simmonds 1854 Shrewsbury with mmn as Bayley.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 01:29 BST (UK) »
There are also the following children registered in Shrewsbury:
Mary Ann Simmonds 1857 mmn Beyley
John Simmonds 1858 mmn Baghe
Fanny Simmonds 1863 mmn Bayley
Mary Ann Simmonds 1867 mmn Bailey (Mar Q. Vol.06A Page 679)
Mary Hannah Simmonds 1867 mmn Bayley ( Mar Q. Vol 06A Page 682)

Unsure about the two Marys in 1867???

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 01:37 BST (UK) »
As it sure looks like a late marriage for them I suspect it may well have been in a register office and, if so, the only way of determining the details you want is buy purchasing a copy of the certificate.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 01:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

St Georges Shrewsbury 28 March 1864

Richard Simmonds full age, bachelor, Bricklayers labourer , Abode: The Mount. Father: Richard Simmonds - labourer

Sarah Bayley, full age, spinster , Abode: Frankwell. Father: William Bayley - labourer

Both signed the register
witnesses: Mark Briggs & Samuel Badger ( that is a guess, the handwriting is terrible)

Claire

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jtpoutdoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Many Thanks- answered Re: SIMMONDS/BAYLEY marriage 1864
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 02:52 BST (UK) »
wow that was quick- register for rootschat today (after it was down so long and can;t remember my old login ) and get a heap of good answers already!
Thanks so much folks.
The St Georges register is the one. Richard (the middle) was a bricklayers labourer. He took Richard (the younger) out of school at the age of 8 and sent him off to be either a farm horse boy or a carrier's mate (depending on the story) while he apparently sat around reading the newspaper (that his son couldn't read) all day and the long suffering "wife" washed clothes to make a crust. By 16 Richard the younger was out of the family home- I think I have located him working as a waggoner but need to get onto Ancestry at the library to get the full details. He later taught himself to read and write and worked at the Shelton Asylum where he did well for himself.

His brother John was a "cripple" who worked as a tailor and sister Fanny later married surname WOODS. The other sister in 1871 is Mary H b 1867- of course there may have been earlier Mary's who died- there was also a family story about a sister Jenny but I have found no record of her at all so she seems to be a myth. Mary H becomes "Minnie" in 1881.

Interesting that they give different addresses at time of marriage though- they were living together as man and wife in Quarry View Buildings, St Chads in 1861, on The Mount in 1871, Frankwell 1881- Richard the middle died in the 1880's. St George's seems to be the one parish in Shrewsbury not previously associated with family (Richard the middle bp at St Mary's, the younger at St Alkmunds, family living in St Chads)- no doubt to avoid awkward questions by the vicar!
Richard the younger went to school on the Mount according to his daughter my great aunt. I think Richard the middle is probably lodging in Castle Foregate in 1851. I have found Richard the elder with wife Ann and sons William and Thomas in 1841.

So many thanks for confirming Sarah Bayley as his mother- lack of a marriage for so many years seems very odd! And also for the confirmation of Richard the middle's father as Richard (the elder) .
Right - now to get to grips with Sarah.....

Thanks
Jane

Offline jtpoutdoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: completed SIMMONDS/BAYLEY marriage 1864
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 August 19 06:19 BST (UK) »
Just as a rather sad little addendum- fanny Simmonds mar Charles William Wood(s) , in 1911 she is in the census, 1912 she travelled to Canada to be with her husband. In 1914 she was apparently on the Empress of Ireland when it sank with the loss of many lives. She was not a survivor.
I am still checking out this story.