Author Topic: Recognise Unit or Regiment please  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Recognise Unit or Regiment please
« on: Tuesday 05 June 18 23:50 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please advise on Unit / Regiment / Rank (the man in the centre of the three is the same person as in the single photo)
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Recognise Unit or Regiment please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The regiment is the Machine Gun Corps. The letters MGC are on the top of the left shoulder (on the right as you look at it) in the first photo in which he is a sergeant. The second photo has the crossed machine guns on his hat, he is a corporal in this photo.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The regiment is the Machine Gun Corps. The letters MGC are on the top of the left shoulder (on the right as you look at it) in the first photo in which he is a sergeant. The second photo has the crossed machine guns on his hat, he is a corporal in this photo.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David

Thank you David
With this information and his name, is there a way to find his war records? I thought he might have been in the Northumberland Fusiliers as he’s from Newcastle
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 10:09 BST (UK) »
I was not in the army, I am ex WRAF but I believe he was a staff sergeant with a crown over the 3 stripes.

The man on the right is a sergeant and the man on the left is a warrant officer.

I also note he has no medal ribbons. I do not know medal ribbons but if the others have WW1 ribbons on their uniforms it could be a few years after WW1, if that is so his documents could still be with MOD. Docs. from 1920 onwards remain at MOD. and can be sent for.

I hope someone can help with the ribbons to help date the picture.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 11:31 BST (UK) »
My reading is that left and right both have what looks like the full set of 3 Great War medals, 1914 or 1914/15 Star, British War and Victory medals.  Right also has a Military Medal (nearest to the buttons) and left also has an additional medal ribbon that I can't ID although it seems to be one colour only and I think the only one like that was a VC.

The MGC man centre is a Colour Sergeant (Staff Sergeant equivalent) and the MGC was disbanded in 1922 so the explanation may be that he simply hasn't received his medals yet or hadn't got them sewn on in time for the photo, they weren't fully distributed until 1920 onwards. 
If his service record has survived and he didn't serve on beyond 1920/21 then his record will be on Ancestry or Findmypast.
If you want to post his name?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
I was not in the army, I am ex WRAF but I believe he was a staff sergeant with a crown over the 3 stripes.

The man on the right is a sergeant and the man on the left is a warrant officer.

I also note he has no medal ribbons. I do not know medal ribbons but if the others have WW1 ribbons on their uniforms it could be a few years after WW1, if that is so his documents could still be with MOD. Docs. from 1920 onwards remain at MOD. and can be sent for.

I hope someone can help with the ribbons to help date the picture.

Thank you very much medpat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
My reading is that left and right both have what looks like the full set of 3 Great War medals, 1914 or 1914/15 Star, British War and Victory medals.  Right also has a Military Medal (nearest to the buttons) and left also has an additional medal ribbon that I can't ID although it seems to be one colour only and I think the only one like that was a VC.

The MGC man centre is a Colour Sergeant (Staff Sergeant equivalent) and the MGC was disbanded in 1922 so the explanation may be that he simply hasn't received his medals yet or hadn't got them sewn on in time for the photo, they weren't fully distributed until 1920 onwards. 
If his service record has survived and he didn't serve on beyond 1920/21 then his record will be on Ancestry or Findmypast.
If you want to post his name?

MaxD

Thank you so much MaxD

I believe him to be my great grandfather, Alexander Robson born 16 May 1874 in Gateshead, Durham and died 2 Aug 1938 Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 12:29 BST (UK) »
There's no Medal card for an Alexander Robson MGC or service/pension record. The only Alex. Robson MGC service record has him born Glasgow 1896 so not your man.
It may be he transferred to the MGC post war & therefore it's not listed as one of his overseas Regts. or he didn't go overseas during WW1.
As has been suggested you could apply to the MOD for his record assuming the photo is post 1920.
You can apply using just his name & DoB.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 12:44 BST (UK) »
Have found the recipients of the Victoria Cross in the Machine Gun Corps just in case the medal ribbon is the VC

Herbert George Columbine, 1918, Hervilly Wood, France

Arthur Henry Cross, 1918, Ervillers, France

John Reginald Noble Graham, 1917, Istabulat, Mesopotamia

Allan Ebenezer Ker, 1918, near St. Quentin, France

David Stuart McGregor, 1918, near Hoogemolen, Belgium

Harold Sandford Mugford, 1917, Monchy-le-Preux, France

William Allison White, 1918, Gouzeaucourt, France

Can't find anything about your gt grandfather's service on Ancestry.
GEDmatch M157477