Author Topic: Elizabeth BLAKE nee HARRIS - death in NSW  (Read 1862 times)

Offline ghostgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth BLAKE nee HARRIS - death in NSW
« on: Wednesday 06 June 18 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hi - Elizabeth HARRIS married Andrew James BLAKE in 1877 in the Wentworth district, NSW. The couple had six children, all born in the Wentworth district.  The youngest, Bertram, was born in 1890 but died in 1891, again, in Wentworth.

Andrew and the kids then turn up in the 1890's in Norseman, WA. They lived there and in Ravensthorpe.

However, there is nothing to indicate that Elizabeth moved there with them so I suspect she died in NSW. There are 3 possible deaths between 1890 and 1900:
BLAKE  ELIZA             No  13736/1890 daughter of  JOSEPH  and LAVINIA    at  WENTWORTH

BLAKE  ELIZABETH A  No 7324/1898   daughter of GEORGE A  and    SARAH A    at  TUMBARUMBA

BLAKE  ELIZABETH     No 13059/1898     Parents Unknown               at          BEGA

I suspect the first one at Wentworth is the correct one, but can't find any death notices on Trove, and I am reluctant to invest in a certificate!! I don't have any subscriptions to the paid websites - is there anyone who can help me to confirm or rule out the three above deaths please? Or point me in another direction?

Thank you!
Burt - Cornwall, Lancashire, Essex
Rayner - Middlesex, Essex
Franklin - Essex
Freestone - Cambridgeshire
Lodge - Essex
Soutar - Scotland
Sellers - Scotland, Vic, Australia
Blobel - Australia
Kluge - Australia
Williams - Cornwall and Lancashire

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth BLAKE nee HARRIS - death in NSW
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 03:18 BST (UK) »
Some thoughts …. 

Bertie’s death #15707/1891, with parents as Andrew and Eliza, was registered in the Wentworth District.

Eliza BLAKE’s death #13736/1890, with parents as Joseph and Lavinia, was registered in the Wentworth District.

Those two death registrations were the only ones in that surname in the years 1875-1900 in that district.

Official transcriptions of NSW BDM registrations are a good option for family history purposes.  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html 

Eliza Blake's, if mum to Bertie, should give you details of her origins, when/where married, spouse, names/ages of her then living children, gender of any who had succumbed, her usual address, cause/s of death, cemetery, clergy and funeral director.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ghostgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 03:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Majm, I think that could be the go!

Cheers  :D
Franklin - Essex
Lodge - Essex
Soutar - Scotland
Blobel - Australia
Kluge - Australia

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 03:38 BST (UK) »
May be of interest http://www.cockatoovalley.com/trent/Trent%20Niemann's%20Families/b11.htm#P5353

Eliza HARRIS (BLAKE) was born in 1859 in Unknown. She died in 1890 at the age of 31 in Wentworth NSW.623 She was buried in 1890 in Wentworth assumed. Parents: Cuthbert Joseph Henry "JOSEPH" HARRIS-1706 and Lavinia "Lavina Gottey" GOTTY (HARRIS)-1707.
Spouse: Andrew James BLAKE-5354. Eliza HARRIS (BLAKE) and Andrew James BLAKE were married in 1877 in Wentworth NSW.101 Children were: Roberet Henry BLAKE-5355, Ellen BLAKE-5356, Percival J BLAKE-5357, Ethel C BLAKE-5359, John BLAKE-5358, Bertram "Bertie" BLAKE-5360.

Offline ghostgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 06:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cup of Life, that's a big help, really appreciate it!
Franklin - Essex
Lodge - Essex
Soutar - Scotland
Blobel - Australia
Kluge - Australia

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
Just a little support for the Wentworth death being the correct Eliza BLAKE (nee HARRIS)

The NSW bmd indexes show a number of registered births to Joseph and Lavinia HARRIS at Wentworth.

This obituary for Joseph Henry HARRIS makes it clear that not all were registered.
15 children in all ;D
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/156769525

He had been in the district from 1850.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xiaolu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 14:12 BST (UK) »
So, a woman married in 1877, probably born before say 1860,  and he mother born say 1840 was called Lavinia ?

Is that plausible ?

The next thing that I suggest that you do,  is to check out the popularity of the name Lavinia.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 15:32 BST (UK) »
So, a woman married in 1877, probably born before say 1860,  and he mother born say 1840 was called Lavinia ?

Is that plausible ?

The next thing that I suggest that you do,  is to check out the popularity of the name Lavinia.

Why not help with the research?  Your post does nothing to assist the OP at all.

Cuthbert Joseph Henry HARRIS born c1821 was married twice.

Picton NSW
217/1849 V1849217 34C
HARRIS Joseph
SARGENT Sophia

Two children, Mary and Esther Sophia.
Second marriage in c1855 to Lavinia GOTTE/GOTTY who was born c1836 and died at Wentworth in 1896.  There were GOTTE families in SA. I can no marriage in either State.

It was a wonder any of the early births were registered.  Wentworth district was an extremely remote are of NSW in that era.  I wonder how often a bdm registrar was available.

Photo of Joseph and Lavinia's headstone at Wentworth cemetery
https://billiongraves.com/grave/Lavina-Harpis/13102380

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 23:23 BST (UK) »

Is that plausible ?

Although I cannot comment on the frequency of Lavinia as a given name in 1840, it is a very ancient name originating in the Latin mythology. The city of Lavinium was named after her.

I found this information in quick internet search.

I cannot see anything implausible about it's use in early the 19th century.

On the other hand  the corruption, Laverne from the TV show, would indeed be unusual.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk