Author Topic: sarah Taylor  (Read 2860 times)

Offline staplehouse

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: sarah Taylor
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 June 18 02:57 BST (UK) »
Thomas Taylor died on the 23 Dece 1911 at 30 augustus Street Enmore Newtown  and was buried in the Church of England Cemetery at Rookwood on the 26 Dec 1911 he was 76 years old

Offline staplehouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 June 18 03:02 BST (UK) »
On Thomas Taylor Marriage it states the following
Bachelor
place of birth       New South Wales
occupation           labourer
age                     29
residence             Sydney
father                   not stated
mother                 not stated

Bride                   mary Ann Timpson
Status                  spinster
place of birth        England
occupation            not stated
age                       21
Residence             Camperdown
father                  not stated

date of marriage   2101/1865
place                    Elizabeth St Sydney
Religion                Presbyterian
witness                 Sarah Taylor, John Taylor
Minister                 James Fullerton

Ref No 1865/71

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 June 18 03:05 BST (UK) »
Here are Thomas' funeral notices.   Apart from his children, one mentions that he is uncle to Mr and Mrs Grierson.  Do you know who they are?

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article15298381

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline staplehouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 June 18 03:21 BST (UK) »
this is Emma Louis Taylor who is the daughter of John Taylor, she married Gordon Grierson

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 June 18 03:50 BST (UK) »
It seems that this is funeral notice for John TAYLOR, his brother in 1913.   It mentions Mr and Mrs Charles GRIERSON and also Mr and Mrs A GRIERSON and others.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article15418362

Just in case you don't have it.

Ros

adding : John TAYLOR is said to be a brother-in-law to Mr and Mrs Samuel PARK, Mr and Mrs Jas PARK, Mr and Mrs Robert THOMSON and Mrs Thomas TAYLOR.   Are all these accounted for?

adding : Samuel and James PARK are brothers of John's wife Ann according to her funeral notice
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article15722164
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 June 18 03:50 BST (UK) »
On Thomas Taylor Marriage it states the following
Bachelor
place of birth       New South Wales
occupation           labourer
age                     29
residence             Sydney
father                   not stated

Bride                   mary Ann Timpson
Status                  spinster
place of birth        England
occupation            not stated
age                       21
Residence             Camperdown
father                  not stated

date of marriage   2101/1865
place                    Elizabeth St Sydney
Religion                Presbyterian
witness                 Sarah Taylor, John Taylor
Minister                James Fullerton

Ref No 1865/71

I have highlighted in red some of my concerns.    Rev Fullerton has a reputation for not keeping full details in his local registers, for running a marriage bureau (he was actually charged by police re this) and to add to the confusion, in the mid 1860s, (in NSW) the Church of Scotland (Presbyterians) was in a fractured state with various Reverends falling out with each other, congregations forming into different loyal groups etc ...
http://chineseaustralia.org/an-indecipherable-name-and-rev-dr-fullertons-marriage-shop/  noting it mentions: Fullerton was known not to ask too many questions, and on the registrations of marriages he officiated, the personal details are often scanty and incorrect. For my couple, only minimal details are given and the bride’s age has been stated as being 21 (the age of consent) – she was actually only 17.

The original church registers maintained by Rev. James Fullerton up to 1873 are held by the Uniting Church Archives NSW/ACT, those from 1874 are held by the Presbyterian Church’s Ferguson Memorial Library in Surry Hills. Thanks to archivists at both those institutions, I now know that Fullerton’s original register can shine no more light

Sadly, I cannot see that the 1865 marriage registration gives you confirmation of any parents for Thomas, and worse, as both witnesses were surnamed TAYLOR, it is a real possibility that the Sarah TAYLOR as witness was related to the other witness, rather than to the groom.  Taylor was definitely one of the top five surnames in NSW in that decade.

I will continue to search through my offline resources for NSW, as there's likely to be several Thos. TAYLOR chaps born in the colony in the 1830s, and staying in the colony, marrying and having families.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 June 18 04:14 BST (UK) »
fingers crossed this live link will give you the listings in the Sands Directory for Sydney for 1866 for TAYLOR as a surname.  ADD .. SCROLL DOWN TO PG 51 OF 61  :)
http://cdn.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/history/archives/sands/1858-1869/1866-part4.pdf

Here's the main home page for the free to search Sands:
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/sands-directory

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 June 18 04:20 BST (UK) »
As an aside  :) TIMPSON is not such a popular surname ... noticing there's a Mrs TIMPSON listed in Sands 1866, in Burton St, Cook.  (Cook is the local government ward in the City of Sydney municipality), and in the 1869 Sands, there's a Henry TIMSON, Forrest St, Glebe.   :)

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 June 18 04:25 BST (UK) »
NSW Electoral Roll 1870 THE GLEBE

Henry TIMPSON, freehold, Forest St, Glebe.
Thomas TAYLOR, household, Parramatta Old Road, Glebe.

I am confident those two street addresses are very close to each other.

http://atlas.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/
http://atlas.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/maps/glebe-camperdown-newtown-macdonaldtown-darlington-1886/glebe-camperdown-newtown-macdonaldtown-darlington-1886-single-sheet/

JM