Author Topic: More Windows 10 April update problems.  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Tasman1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
More Windows 10 April update problems.
« on: Wednesday 06 June 18 13:07 BST (UK) »
After my previous desktop update, this was the time for my ASUS X555L laptop. All went seemingly well and not too long. Started Ok, then noticed no sound and the wireless mouse stopped responding.
Tried updating drivers and changing USB ports to no avail. Eventually reverted back to WIN 1709 and lost quite a few downloads such as CCleaner. However mouse and sound are now functioning again. They have not got it right yet.
I, for one, would like a stable and safe platform, to send and receive emails and do Internet research. Should you want all the extra bells and whistles, have them as an extra.
Synonym of 'annoyed' off, Microsoft user.
Aitkenhead, Purdon, Buick, Fairweather, Todd, Moresby.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: More Windows 10 April update problems.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 13:48 BST (UK) »
I didn't have any problems with the updates.  I use Mozilla Firefox for the internet and Mozilla  Thunderbird for receiving and sending email.  For my email address I use gmail.

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 14:09 BST (UK) »
My laptop has taken on a life of its own since the update. A friend in England (I am in Spain ) was telling me exactly the same thing this morning. Both laptops are around 2 years old but different makes.
I thought to begin with that my problem was caused by the fact that mine is Spanish & has been adapted to English, although at times I struggle with the keyboard, but  apparently that is not the case.
I only want it for very basic functions. I don't need the bells & whistles & wouldn't use them anyway, but there is no choice. It's all inflicted on the user on a "need it or not " basis.
It's probably now going to cost me a weeks' pension to get it sorted out.You may have gathered, I'm not happy.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 14:26 BST (UK) »
Are there any young people living near to you, or do you have any youngish relatives.  They will probably sort out your computer for free - or maybe a cup of tea and a piece of cake  :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
After my previous desktop update, this was the time for my ASUS X555L laptop. All went seemingly well and not too long. Started Ok, then noticed no sound and the wireless mouse stopped responding.
Tried updating drivers and changing USB ports to no avail. Eventually reverted back to WIN 1709 and lost quite a few downloads such as CCleaner. However mouse and sound are now functioning again. They have not got it right yet.
I, for one, would like a stable and safe platform, to send and receive emails and do Internet research. Should you want all the extra bells and whistles, have them as an extra.
Synonym of 'annoyed' off, Microsoft user.

What Anti-Virus are you using?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 21:15 BST (UK) »
DO use the Feedback app. Sometimes they take notice.

I have an old IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad laptop, for which the video driver has not been updated since 2006. When 1709 appeared, it would die if I disconnected the power, and would not start up on battery, with the message indicating the video driver.

It seems that 1709 tried to get the video driver to enter a "low power mode", without checking first to see if such a mode was available.

So I unleashed a tirade in the Feedback app, rolled back to 1703 and waited for 1803. I use WSUS, so am not forced to upgrade unless I want to.

Believe it or not, they fixed it.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Tasman1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 June 18 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi. Found the below link, and if you have an hour or two, perhaps it may solve your problem!???
https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-april-2018-update-common-problems-and-fixes.
Hallmark - only Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Profesional. Interestingly, on my desktop, clicking on the Defender icon to run a scan, it said - No action needed, Malwarebytes is your anti-virus. Downloaded 'feedback app' and posted. Won't hold my breath. Some references on the web about loss of mouse and audio, but no solutions. Many of the solutions in the above article, are verging on the too difficult for many? of us senior citizens.
Aitkenhead, Purdon, Buick, Fairweather, Todd, Moresby.

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 June 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
Far too technical for an OAP, plus the problem of trying to carry out the instructions on a Spanish machine.
Not only am I not IT literate, my technical Spanish is nil, but thanks for the tip.