Author Topic: Pemberton 1849, Crew List.  (Read 1376 times)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
Pemberton 1849, Crew List.
« on: Wednesday 06 June 18 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi team

For a friend, I'm looking for the names of the crew on the 'Pemberton' that arrived in Port Phillip in May 1849 from Plymouth.  She was an Earl Grey vessel. 

I've seen lots of lists of the passengers including the Captain, and the ships surgeon but what about the other crew members?!

Thanks in advance,

Bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Pemberton 1849, Crew List.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
PEMBERTON 1050 NRT, Built Quebec, 1846, owned by Lodge and Co. was Registered in Liverpool.
Her Crew Agreements for 1849 are stored at The British National Archives at Kew, London.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4066311
As Crew Agreements are catalogued by the year the vessel returned to a UK port, you may also need to look at 1850.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4066591

You would be best served attending Kew yourself or appointing a researcher to look for you.
If you intend requesting a copy from TNA, be sure to be specific and make it clear that you only require a Crew Agreement (List) for PEMBERTON. Otherwise they will quote you for the contents of the entire file, which may run into dozens of ships who's name begins with "P".
As far as I am aware TNA is the only institution with this kind of information. Others may tell you of Australian source's.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 June 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
One of the main sources for Ships Crew into Port Phillip is www.prov.vic.gov.au  which is the Public Record Office in Victoria. Unfortunately the crew records start in 1852. Trove.nla the Australian newspaper site gives only the info you have viz. Captain and Ships Surgeon.
Stephanie from Australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 June 18 13:05 BST (UK) »
1849 ... so that's before Victoria was hived off from New South Wales, so perhaps there's some material archived at NSW Archives...  I am not confident it would be there, but ... on the off-chance ...

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/crew-records-guide   

I think if it is at NSW Archives, it is likely to be on ONE of the following reels covering the years 1845 - 1853 :  1272 to 1280 inclusive.  Sorry I cannot drill down to just one reel.  Perhaps an email to their general enquiries ... asking if they hold crew lists for ships to Port Phillips prior to separation of Victoria into its own colony and if yes, which reel  etc etc.  https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/contact-us

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 June 18 13:29 BST (UK) »
The NSW records can be found here

http://marinersandships.com.au/1849/05/4905.htm

Unfortunately no mention of the Pemberton in 1849 - and the 1849 lists seem to omit the crew names - other than the Captain. A rough check suggests crew names were included from 1854.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 June 18 13:45 BST (UK) »

I am uncertain simply because I well recall when transcribing for mariners and ships in Australian waters, that it was focusing on passenger and crew on ships into Sydney, but I think I remember on one occasion when I was actually at Kingswood, I checked out a passenger list from around the late 1840s ... and several of the reels actually included ships into other ports as well.  I am happy to stand corrected.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 June 18 13:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for everyone's input.  I will look into all.

Bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England