Author Topic: Tom Bourne?  (Read 956 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Tom Bourne?
« on: Wednesday 06 June 18 20:47 BST (UK) »
Following on from http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=794660.0  I am interested in investigating the possibility that the child named Thomas Adair Bourne Howson, born 1874 in Birmingham, is the Tom A Bourne who appears, aged 6, in the household of Elizabeth Green in Knaresborough in 1881, and also the Thomas Adair, aged 17, draper apprentice in the household of Riley Fortune, silk mercer, at Ravensgill, Bilton, Harrogate in 1891.

Can anyone point me at anything that might confirm or refute this theory?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Bourne?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 June 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
Both Census entries have him down as being born in Birmingham 1874/75, which fits. The names are variations on the theme of the names from the birth ref so it looks highly possible to me, the 1881 entry in particular with the middle initial A. Quite why the change from Bourne to Adair I'm not sure about but I'd be inclined to think they were one and the same person until evidence to prove it isn't comes to light.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 June 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
Both Census entries have him down as being born in Birmingham 1874/75, which fits. The names are variations on the theme of the names from the birth ref so it looks highly possible to me, the 1881 entry in particular with the middle initial A. Quite why the change from Bourne to Adair I'm not sure about but I'd be inclined to think they were one and the same person until evidence to prove it isn't comes to light.
Thank you, Emeltom, you confirm what we thought.

I am now interested in any evidence that would point one way or the other.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 June 18 10:42 BST (UK) »
I have a nasty feeling that it is going to be impossible to prove. Why would a child aged between 6 and 17 change their surname? The implication is that it was done by someone else, somewhere along the line, but why.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 June 18 11:08 BST (UK) »
His full name was quite a mouthful - I can imagine scribes along the way thinking that as they wrote the first names Thomas Adair - that was his name and ignored the rest.

I know that sounds simplistic, I can just imagine it happening though.

I think it would be extremely useful to obtain the birth certificate then check his mother out - as no maiden name is shown on the GRO index, it is possible he was illegitimate. If you follow her through - perhaps to a marriage -- and see if that child is with her --- or her and her husband that may show one way or theother that he is NOT with her/them under a new husband's name.

That will at least prove by omission that he is not with his birth mother under another surname.

For what it's worth I think the one in Knaresborough and Harrogate is the correct Thomas.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 June 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
In addition to checking whether the infant’s birthdate matches that of the adult in 1939, I would be:

Identifying the mother and seeing what happened to her.
Seeing what workhouse records survived if it looks likely he went into that system.
Looking at whether any relevant school records are available.
Investigating the possibility of apprenticeship records.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 June 18 11:47 BST (UK) »
It might also be worth having a look at the background of the other child lodger with Mrs Green in 1881, in case they both came to her from the same workhouse or similar institution.

He is George Lascelles, 4, born Ulleskelf, Yorkshire.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 June 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
In addition to checking whether the infant’s birthdate matches that of the adult in 1939, I would be:
Identifying the mother and seeing what happened to her.
Seeing what workhouse records survived if it looks likely he went into that system.
Looking at whether any relevant school records are available.
Investigating the possibility of apprenticeship records.
Indeed. I was sort of hoping that someone would know where to look for the workhouse, school and apprenticeship records for the Knaresborough/Harrogate area are.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 June 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
I rather suspect -- but don't know with absolute certainty - that both Knaresborough and Harrogate will come under North Yorkshire.

The North Yorkshire Archives - as far as I know - are at Northallerton.

https://archivesunlocked.northyorks.gov.uk/CalmView/How.aspx

It may be worth contacting them.

However is it possible that an arrangement was in place to send workhouse children from Birmingham to elsewhere at that time. Hence there may be records in Birmingham also of this child and where he was sent. Trouble is he could be recorded under different surnames.

I can confirm that in the 1760s - one of my ancestors was sent at age 6 from London to Ackworth, Yorkshire as an apprentice to a farmer. (They did things like scaring birds at that age, but the masters were paid by the Poor Law Guardians to take the children.)

Archives often hold apprenticeship records also. Northallerton MIGHT be worth a try, and if it's not them may be able to suggest an alternative.

The Borthwick Institute at York also springs to mind.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.