Author Topic: Jane Tindall  (Read 6227 times)

Offline John Bell

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Tindall
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 June 18 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

There is a family tree on Ancestry giving details of Daniel Tindall (1758 – 1827) being married to Jane Davis (1777 – 1854).
This family tree has Daniel Tindall being convicted of High Treason for plotting to kill George III and sentenced to death. This was later commuted to transportation for life. He arrived in New South Wales aboard the Duke of Portland in 1807. His wife Jane and children arrive later on the Kangaroo. He was a carpenter and he and his family later lived in Liverpool.

I am sure there are more than one Daniel Tindall who came out as a convict, sorting out the correct details between them may take a while.

Good luck.
BELL :Coatbridge, Sct & West Aust
WALLIS :Lamberhurst, Ticehurst, Frant. Ssx & West Aust
SENYARD :London.
VEAZEY :London
PARMENTER :Acton Suffolk & London & West Aust

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 June 18 09:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks John Bell, I am searching through Surrey CD's at the moment and found a James Tindall marriage to a Jane Davis Croydon St. John 27/11/1792 and 3 possibilities of Surname starting with Jane, I don't know how the name of Amelia Jane (Jane) came into the picture as so many on Ancestry have this entry and can't explain how they got it?? :-\

Regards,
Janet :-[

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 September 18 08:46 BST (UK) »
Good Evening All, still can't find the proper marriage of Amelia Jane, entries listed she was born in Southwark, Surrey, Egham some with different names, dates. I guess this ancestor will always be a question mark, perhaps they were married whilst Daniel was in prison before he came to N.S.W. I did find a few surnames of Jane on the Surrey CD's. :-X :'(

Regards,
Janet :(

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 September 18 11:17 BST (UK) »
QUESTION

Have you considered the December 1856 marriage of James TINDALE .... recently Ancestry uploaded digitised images of a number of the Sydney Diocese C of E parish registers.  These often include the maiden name of the mother of the bride and groom, particularly once civil registration commenced (1 March 1856) ADD the heading reads 'Names (Mother's Maiden Name)'

entry 7 in the parish register of St Lukes, Liverpool, 1 December 1856, St Lukes Church, Liverpool,
James Tindale,  bachelor, born Liverpool, a Carrier, aged 34, present and usual residence at Liverpool,  mother as Jane BALL, father’s rank/profession as undertaker
Married
Ann Beale, widow, (husband died 6 December 1854, 2 living children, 4 deceased,) born Sydney, present and usual residence at Liverpool, mother as Elizabeth xxx, father’s rank/profession as Sexton of St Phillips Church.

ADD ... forgot to include the witness names (both signed) as Thomas TINSDALL and Susannah TINDALL and that James signed as James TINDALL and Ann signed as ANN BEALE

NOTICE the headings make NO provision for the name of the father of the bride or groom, notice also the additional info confirming Ann as a widow includes when her husband had died, and the number of children of that marriage) and I am sure you would recognise that carpenters would also have been called upon to construct coffins, so perhaps have undertaken undertaking duties.

Also noticed the following in those digitised parish registers ... there could be others but the spellings may be of interest, although I think likely you will already have these.   
St Lukes C of E,  Liverpool, NSW church registers
Jane, daughter of Daniel and Jane TYNDALL of this district, born May 5, 1817, baptised  March 23, 1818
Susanna, dau of Daniel and Jane TYNDALL of the district of Liverpool, born December 18  1817, baptised July 23, 1818
Jane TYNDALL, aged 5, burial 15 July 1822
James, son of Daniel and Jane TYNDALL of the district of Liverpool, born March 26, 1822, baptised March 30, 1823
Daniel William, son of Daniel and Jane TINDALL, of Liverpool, carpenter, born May 30, 1828, baptised July 6, 1828
Alfred, son of Daniel and Jane TINDAL (Daniel as a carpenter), district of Liverpool, born August 9, 1838, baptised August 22, 1838

Fingers crossed. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 September 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
The 1856 marriage is for James born c1822, the son of Daniel and grandson of the convict Daniel.  Both Daniels married a Jane and you can see the families together on the 1825 muster.

Her surname is BULL in the indexes.

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 September 18 11:55 BST (UK) »
 :D

Thanks Debra, well that's sorted then, so Janet is still left with the search for the maiden name of Jane, wife of Daniel who was transported ...

I was fascinated to see the depth of the info available on the St Luke's parish register in 1856  :)

ADD, as an aside I have re-checked the 1856 m.c. and I err  still think that that Jane's surname is recorded there as BALL  ::) even after looking at the scribe's 'u' in Luke and the 'a' in 'we are' and in 'Chas' (Rev'd Priddle)

JM  :)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 September 18 13:42 BST (UK) »

Her surname is BULL in the indexes.

I meant for her marriage to Daniel in 1817.

Janet, is it correct that most of convict Daniel and Jane's children died after civil registration started in 1856.  Do none of their death certificates give a maiden surname for their mother?

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 September 18 23:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help, and advice all of the entries you find on Ancestry throw you around and you don't know where to start or believe, this family has always been confusing even the Web Page in N.S.W. Monaro who have the complete Tindall records, don't reply to you and explain the right person who married Daniel Tindall the convict. :'(

Janet :-[

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 September 18 04:35 BST (UK) »
The reason for Daniel TINDALL's transportation is interesting in that he was tried fro High Treason, as mentioned above by John Bell.  He seems very lucky to have had his sentence commuted to transportation as the original sentence for the conspirators was tha tthey were to be hung, drawn and quartered.  The leader of the group and 6 others were executed but TINDALL, Thomas NEWMAN and William LANDER were transported.  There are  references on Google and some comentators suggest that there was actually not a great deal of evidence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Despard_Plot

None of this helps find Jane's name, though!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk