Author Topic: Tryphena Dyer "Single Woman", of Ottery Saint Mary.  (Read 1150 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tryphena Dyer "Single Woman", of Ottery Saint Mary.
« on: Thursday 07 June 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

The above person was one of my 6x great grandma's.
I cannot seem to find a baptism for her anywhere.
On the 18th of March 1786, she had a child (my 5x great grandma), born called Ann Dyer, in Ottery Saint Mary. Ann was baptised in 1788 in Ottery Saint Mary.
According to the register image, Ann was:
"a base born child of Tryphena Dyer, by Charles Windover. Born 18th of March 1786. Baptised 14th of August 1788." This is a link to the original image: she was baptised with the surname of Windover:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fdev%2f007270510%2f00069&parentid=gbprs%2fdev%2fbap%2f625449
Charles Windover was born in 1755 in Ottery Saint Mary. Charles Windover, and Tryphena Dyer appear to have never married.

In 1786, Charles Windover had to pay money towards a bastardy order:
The description in the title link states: "Tryphena Dyer, Single Woman.":
"Charles Windover father of her female bastard born 18 March to pay 7s and 1s a week.":
http://devon-cat.swheritage.org.uk/records/3327A/PO/93/22

Ann Dyer, my 5x great grandma married John Ebdon in Ottery Saint Mary, in 1809.
John Ebdon and Ann lived in Sidbury. They both had a daughter baptised Tryphena in 1816 in Sidbury.

Now regarding Tryphena Dyer, mother of Ann:
I ORIGINALLY thought that Tryphena may have been born Tryphena Potter. This was because in 1763, a Tryphena Potter married a John Dyer.
This became slightly more interesting when I saw that Edward Windover married a Sarah Dyer in Ottery Saint Mary. Edward was a brother of Charles Windover. And Sarah Dyer was a daughter of Tryphena and John Dyer, baptised in Ottery in 1772.

However I thought again:
This Tryphena Potter and John Dyer were married in 1763.
If this Tryphena was 16 or above when she married John, it would mean that by 1786, she would be in her early forties when Ann was born.
Also, the Bastardy Order states that she was a: "Single Woman."
There is also a burial in 1809 for Ottery Saint Mary, and the register states:
"Tryphena, wife of John Dyer."

This is a link on "Family Search", to transcriptions of children born to Tryphena (nee Potter), and John Dyer. The youngest one was baptised in Ottery Saint Mary in 1781. The only person born with a name that even slightly resembles "Tryphena", was Susanna, born in 1769:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?facetType=ON&query=%2Bsurname%3ADyer%7E%20%2Bbirth_place%3ADevon%7E%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1763-1785%7E%20%2Bfather_givenname%3AJohn%7E%20%2Bmother_givenname%3ATryphena%7E%20%2Brecord_country%3AEngland%20%2Brecord_subcountry%3AEngland%2CDevonshire&count=20&collection_id=1473014

I looked on "Find My Past", and saw that there was a Tryphena Dyer who married in 1789 in Ottery Saint Mary. The grooms name was: "Felix Hamil."
However, I cannot seem to find any references to a baptism or burial for this Felix, or for a Tryphena Hamil.

Any information at all regarding the above would be gratefully accepted.

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Tryphena Dyer "Single Woman", of Ottery Saint Mary.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 June 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
I was fascinated by the name, did some research, which you probably already know but I'm sure others will be interested. This is from Wikipedia.

"Tryphena of Rome is a Christian woman mentioned in Romans 16:12 of the Bible According to Wiktionary, the name 'Tryphena' is of Greek origin meaning 'dainty'."

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 June 18 18:10 BST (UK) »
One of the witnesses of the marriage of Tryphena and Felix Hamel is Tryphena Dyer, who (unusually) is noted as 'mother'.

Thryphene Hamel, wife of Felix was buried at St Philip, Birmingham 16 April 1797. The burial register notes 'from the hospital', as are a few others on the page. (I think this would refer to Birmingham General Hospital).

I can't see any other sign of Felix, nor of any children born to them.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 June 18 19:05 BST (UK) »
there was a Tryphena Dyer who married in 1789 in Ottery Saint Mary. The grooms name was: "Felix Hamil."

It may just be worth pointing out that the 1789 marriage was not in Ottery but at Exeter St Martin, and both spouses were said at that time to be of Exeter St Pancras.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 June 18 00:10 BST (UK) »
there was a Tryphena Dyer who married in 1789 in Ottery Saint Mary. The grooms name was: "Felix Hamil."

It may just be worth pointing out that the 1789 marriage was not in Ottery but at Exeter St Martin, and both spouses were said at that time to be of Exeter St Pancras.
Yes, sorry. My mistake. I forgot that the search result came up stating that they were married  in Exeter, not Otterty.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 June 18 00:12 BST (UK) »
I was fascinated by the name, did some research, which you probably already know but I'm sure others will be interested. This is from Wikipedia.

"Tryphena of Rome is a Christian woman mentioned in Romans 16:12 of the Bible According to Wiktionary, the name 'Tryphena' is of Greek origin meaning 'dainty'."
Thankyou . :)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 June 18 19:15 BST (UK) »
Not a very common name to be sure, but Thomas Hardy the author did have a romantic liason with a Tryphena.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.