Author Topic: Russian Polish immigrant to Wales at turn of century  (Read 32124 times)

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Polish immigrant to Wales at turn of century
« Reply #27 on: Monday 11 June 18 08:41 BST (UK) »
Thankyou. An interesting family history for you. I will read the time line you have linked when I get to my computer. You are all helping me understand Ernest’s story.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 11 June 18 15:52 BST (UK) »
Does the sketch map of Kiblich look anything this?

Here is the link to the full sheet.
http://easteurotopo.org/images/new%20rmt-126_2014/XXVI-8_s126_Uman_LC_1902.jpg

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 11 June 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
I’m going to make a screen shot of the sketch and send to you. I will also print out with your map to look more closely. Ernest mentioned a prison, which has just cropped up in the narrative of the book....seems it was ells attached to what the authors text gives as a police station. More later!
Thanks.
Norma

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 11 June 18 19:00 BST (UK) »
Umm. Not possible to compare the sketch with the actual map you have sent. I attach it below for you to look at and ponder. Poor quality resolution in the original. Screen shot, worse.

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 11 June 18 19:08 BST (UK) »
Very interesting. I note that in 1869 in Russia University Courses for women were opened, which opens the profession of teacher, law assistant and similar lower academic professions for women (in 1876, the courses are no longer allowed to give exams, and in 1883, all outside of the capital is closed).
That could fit in with the age of Ernest's mother. Would Russia include Russian Poland in this reference?

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 04:18 BST (UK) »
Two things leap out at me from Ernest's map; the roads to Uman and to Teplyk.

The attached bilingual map from 1820 shows Kiblych's (Kublicz is the Polish spelling) location relative to Uman and Teplik.

Now there is no doubt that Kiblych in the western Ukraine was Ernest's home.

Russian Poland was part of the Russian Empire. Poland of the late 18th century had been partitioned three time between Russia, Prussia and Austria. Russian Poland, aka Congress Poland, was created after the Congress of Vienna at the end of the Napoleonic wars.

Ernest's mother was born in about 1883. The list also states that in 1905 universities in Russia were open to women.

Justin

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 07:32 BST (UK) »
Thankyou! The sketch came from the novel you suggested. But, yes. I am also convinced. I can see much that relates to what he told me, but knew that many villages might have had similar set ups. You have now placed his life firmly on the map! It’s exciting, isn’t it! By now, I am attempting to find a way to write his story via his friendship with me. Your involvement  has inspired me to dedicate myself to this. I couldn’t have worked out the map as you have done and am extremely grateful.  I look for your messages now much as I waited for letters from Ernest some thirty years ago! Norma :)

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 08:01 BST (UK) »
Justin, I understand you are directing me to archived maps. How do I place it now? Is there a Kibblitch now? If you have already told me, forgive this message! Nx

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 09:53 BST (UK) »
Justin,
Re reading the thread, I realised I hadn’t read the link re the Tredegar Rabbi, with Kibblitch links. How fascinating is that! It seems to me they must have known each other given the intensity of a small community.

The present Cardiff Rabbi, Colin and his wife Loli, used to come to our house parties, a friend of a friend. I think I will contact him by phone to see what records of Ernest’s time exist in Cardiff.

I love this story! As you wrote earlier, all too interesting. Did you get the pm by the way?
Norma