Author Topic: Russian Polish immigrant to Wales at turn of century  (Read 32589 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Polish immigrant to Wales at turn of century
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 14:12 BST (UK) »
Norma,

The birth of Ernest's son in 1931 was in South Manchester, so he may not have been around to meet the new rabbi. However, Ernest's parents may well have known him.

A picture emerges of multiple connections to Kiblitch (see modern Kiblych here https://www.google.ae/maps/place/Kiblych,+Vinnyts'ka+oblast,+Ukraine,+23755/@48.7155373,29.5886484,12z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x40cd8198bf67ded7:0xbabd46f88dc194c!8m2!3d48.7213666!4d29.5694955). I wonder whether Kiblitchers were the founders of the Tredegar community.

I found the attached article about the other Kiblitchers - Isaac and Malka Gaba; interesting reading.

Is there a possibility that the place you noted as Crosinsylka should read Crosnipylka, i.e. Krasnopilka? It's only 8.5 miles NE of Kiblych.

You need to scour your notes for mentions of any other place names.

I did see your PM. The secret is safe with me.

Justin

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 15:39 BST (UK) »
I love this thought re the links to Kibblitch. Is the one you have attached now the same as the one from the Jewish Chronicle? I have sent a message to the person who may have written that via Linked IN. I will read the article below this evening. I've been long at the computer by now and am getting square eyed. Thank you. Thank you.

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
Justin

My notes are more or less that... my notes. Much may be lost over the thirty years I have saved them randomly. In terms Ernest's actual letters, the pattern was more or less that I would type up what he sent me or said to me, so that it could be sent back to him. Thus, most letters were typed and returned for his entertainment. It kept him going while he was failing.

The town you suggest is so like the note I have in terms of spelling, and the fact that it is near  is likely to make it probable.

School was in the main street.
Names of his aunts in Kiblitch were, Tanya, Rosinkeler, Bettina and Chika was his mother. He wrote that they lived in a large house twenty miles from Kiblitch. The house was built near a river. This was his grandmother's house, of which he had fond and detailed memories.He wrote, 'Can you see what happiness I lived in!' Grandfather was a big, tall, bearded man. His grandmother was tiny.

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 17:30 BST (UK) »
PS. You latest find, the story of Malka, shows a picture of Malka and Isaac in Tredegar in 1911, the year of the anti Jewish riots when Ernest and his family were there! They must have known each other, given Malka and Isaac’s parental links to Kibblitch.

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 18:48 BST (UK) »

The National Archives has  found a possible match for the certificate re the Naturalisation of Fagie/Fania Ernest's sister.  Document reference is  HO 334/157/15765. The date of birth is not given as part of the description but the residence of Fania Gershenson is given as Russia. Living in Wales, I can't get into Kew to see if there is more on the actual certificate.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11804505
My reference number is :HO 334/157/15765 if anyone wants to look further. :)
TNA1530392217M92 .

I've started to write the story around the correspondence I had with Ernest. (I called him Gershie).

If I manage to complete it, I would like to add your name to the credits. Is that allowed?
Norma

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 06 July 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Norma,

I have been away on holiday.

The naturalisation cert would confirm her place of birth. If you try posting a look-up request to the London board, some kind RCer may find the time to photograph the document.

I would be flattered to be mentioned in the credits.

Justin

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 06 July 18 14:56 BST (UK) »
I will try to do that re the London Board.
I’ve done a first draft of an approach to Gershie’s story. I am attempting to creat a dialogue of our interaction up to his death. He asked a lot of my own life. We shared many experiences, albeit divided by years. I was thirtyish when we met. He was already ninety and needing to tell his story. He grew up in Russian Poland  and then Wales, I lived in a Norfolk village, born just after Poland was invaded and WW2 started. We came to Wales much later. The interaction with Gershie  was a poignant time. He said it gave him the will to face his age induced isolation, a reason to go on. When I am at a point where the story seems ready to share, I will let you know. I wish I had been able to tell him Kiblitch still stands. I know now, but  only thanks to you. Thank you. And thanks to other researchers who posted help.

Offline suegersh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 20:56 GMT (UK) »
My husband is the nephew of Ernest Gershenson. My husband's father was Stanley Samuel Gershenson. Your findings are fascinating and is something I'd wish to pass on to our children.

Thanks Sue

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 01 April 22 13:13 BST (UK) »
How wonderful that a relative has been able to find this amazing story

Gwealodian ..is there a book yet ? I'd love to read it .

Justin's input was invaluable .I've just looked at the map and now understand why some people have put Poland for towns that have been once Russia or Ukraine and how close those towns are to the Latvian towns of my Jewish ancestor

I always wondered why he ended up in WALES  and suspect family connections too.

Surgersh have any of your family done DNA tests .?
 My mother's second cousin shared a photo of their mutual great grandfather b 1850 ...and some of the trees on Ancestry have wonderful photos of the elders .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson