Author Topic: Russian Polish immigrant to Wales at turn of century  (Read 32460 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Russian Polish immigrant to Wales at turn of century
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 June 18 08:33 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

I think you are going to find it hard to resist doing the write-up.  :)

Can you view this webpage? https://www.jewishgen.org/Ukraine/GEO_town.asp?id=251

You can find it on google maps as Kiblych. It had a Jewish population of 1,067 in 1900.

It's not as close to Odessa as Ernest thought, but it is the only match in the database of pre-war Jewish communities.

His sister Fania/Fay became a British naturalised citizen in 1940. Her place of birth would have been stated in her application, which is held at the National Archives in Kew.

I think there may have been a bit of embellishment going on here with the bit about the chemist. There is little to no chance that a Jewish girl born in Imperial Russia in the early 1880s received anything more than rudimentary education. Hers would have been the life portrayed in Fiddler on the Roof.

Parts of Lee Batterman's Kiblych, a novel of historical fiction set 1883(!!) can be read on google books. I quote from one page, "She had learned early how to sign her name in Russian, but that was all. She didn't go to the public school; she learned Yiddish and Hebrew from a teacher who came to her house. Most girls only learned to read and write Yiddish ..."

Ernest's parents, Barnet (b. 6 Aug 1880), travelling drapery salesman, and Clara (b. 18 Mar 1883) "unpaid domestic duties" were living at 66 Newport Road in Risca near Newport in 1939.

Do you know at what stage the family moved to Cardiff?

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 June 18 09:10 BST (UK) »
I would love to speak with you but not sure if it’s allowed in the roitschat rules.

Ernest told me his mother was given the chemist shop by her father as a wedding dowry. I u derstood they were wealthy.,

Thankyou for all your searching. I will look for that book Immediately I get to the computer.

I am not Jewish myself, but have Jewish cousins from the marriage of a family member. I have also met and found  great affinity with  several Jewish families, who are close friends. Some are Notable people, all are or have been wonderful, warm friends. Poetry, music, family, love....all there in abundance. I think you are right. It will be hard to resist retelling Ernest’s story. Much to share, but too much for online.

Many thanks. much to read and relish.

Xxx :)

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 June 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
I just came across this photograph on line of a Tredegar Jewish shopkeeper, name of Barnet. This made me wonder if it relates to Ernest. He spoke of the shop selling boots. When they arrived in Tredegar, they went to someone they already knew. Maybe a relative?  What do you think? Norma

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 June 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
In 1878 there was a Harris Barnet at Tredegar with a shop that sold boots. If you scroll down on the page with the picture of A Barnett you found you can see a shop with a sign Harriss on it, boarded up, clearly a jewish owned shop. Maybe realatives maybe just others helping others?

Do you have this fre newspaper link to search?
http://newspapers.library.wales/
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 June 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I will search that link again.
I know his father bought a shop but I can't establish whether it was in Tredegar. I think it was, but looking back at his messages, he also speaks of a shop that could have been in Cardiff. His words ran something like this?
'After the riots, my father's business was failing. No one had the money to pay rent or meet what they owed him. He bought a shop and shortly after went to live in Cardiff while continuing to work in Tredegar.'
Maybe that fixes the time he moved to Cardiff, albeit approximately.

Thank you.:)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 June 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
I can see this too
"Jewish Chronicle, 30 November 1900, page 1
Engagement. Nellie, eldest daughter of Mr & Mrs I. Fine of Aberdare to Isaac, eldest son of Mrs A. Barnet and late Harris Barnett, of Abercynon, Glamorgan"

Is this the same family?
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 June 18 17:38 BST (UK) »
I’m not sure. When I knew Ernest, one of his shops was in Abercynon. There were four children, I think, but he only mentions in detail his sister Faggie who cane with the family from Kibblitch. Other children were born in Tregegar, as far as I recall. I’ll go through the pile of letters again to see if any of the British born children are named. Thankyou for this. In some ways, it shows me how much I don’t know about this lonely man who wrote and spoke so often. His memory was failing by the end, though he was still bright as a button to speak with.

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 June 18 17:41 BST (UK) »
PS. Re the marriage in the JC...given Ernest was the eldest son (Fagie, the sister, was first born) it looks less likely. I’ll still check for children’s names.x

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 June 18 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Norma,

The British born siblings were:

Stanley Samuel G., b. Q3 1911
Harry G., b. Q1 1914
Alec G., b. Q2 1917
Sonia G. , b. Q1 1921

It certainly would have been common for immigrants to join family members who were already established in the new country.