Author Topic: JOHNSON Henry -- Avenue Head on the road to Seaton Delval.  (Read 3358 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: JOHNSON Henry -- Avenue Head on the road to Seaton Delval.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 21:58 BST (UK) »
I had a quick look at the St. Nicholas marriage today.  It says - Mr. William Johnson Merchant and Mrs. Alice Rawling.  If he was a Newcastle merchant then he may be documented somewhere as a lot has been written about the Merchant Adventurers of Newcastle.  He was obviously held in high regard as they used his title in the records.

Whether this helps or hinders linking him to your ancestors is anybody’s guess!

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
Going back to Henry - you mentioned in a pm that there was a baptism for Henry Johnson in Bedlington so I looked at this today. 

24 August 1701 Henry son of John Johnson Farmer and Jane his wife of Westsligburn.

Westsligburn (also written as Westslickburn) is known as West Sleekburn today and was part of Bedlington parish.  The land was owned by the Bishopric of Durham (which is why it was considered to be part of County Durham at the time) and John would likely be a farmer on their land.

I think this Henry looks good for being yours because of the farming background.

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 23:18 BST (UK) »
That is right in the correct area.   I would think there is a very strong possiblity.  I am going to add this one with a note and a *   Its very exciting to me.   When my wife and I are in Sunderland next year would you like to meet for lunch    We will likely be staying in Newcastle    Its next June.

As to William I dont think its mine.  First off as you have noted.  Mine were all farmers or farm laborers that we (I) know of.  Merchants never come into the picture until my great grandfathers brother in Sunderland and thats the 1890s.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 05 July 18 06:48 BST (UK) »
I had a quick look at the St. Nicholas marriage today.  It says - Mr. William Johnson Merchant and Mrs. Alice Rawling.  If he was a Newcastle merchant then he may be documented somewhere as a lot has been written about the Merchant Adventurers of Newcastle.  He was obviously held in high regard as they used his title in the records.

Whether this helps or hinders linking him to your ancestors is anybody’s guess!

Going back to post 22, where Christine found a possible baptism for Elizabeth and 6 other daughters - Phillis, Maria , Ellener , Isabella , Margaret  and Ann, there is a will for a William Johnson which mentions daughters of the same names.
William JOHNSON, yeoman, of Long-Benton in the County of Northumberland

Date of probate: 29 April 1728

A quick scan though the registered copy shows that his wife was called Margaret, she obviously survived him as she is named as his widow on the will bond.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 05 July 18 14:39 BST (UK) »
oops! Sorry, I forgot to add in the links to the images

original will ( and codicil)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-D1L3-WS7?cc=2358715

registered copy will (and codicil)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6XSQ-1ZY?i=439&cc=2365059

Useful to look at both if there are parts you find difficult to decipher.

will bond
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-67MS-X6Q?i=39&cc=2353049

Boo

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 05 July 18 18:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  That will gave me information on his daughters marriages among other things.  It is really appreciated. 

Jim

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 05 July 18 18:59 BST (UK) »
Back to Henry Johnson who we now know was born 1701 Bedlington and his parents were John Johnson and Jane (marriage unknown)
I looked at the records I could find for Bedlington on the FHs  and found this  Henry was born 1701 and i found children born up to 1719 all Bedlington and parents John Johnson  mother Jane

Thought I was doing good and then I got a red herring thrown in the works.  I found these two baptisms in Bedlington   Catherine Johnson 1689  and  Mary Johnson 1693   Parents  John Johnson and Jane.

Do you think the parents John Johnson and Jane  of the two born in the the 1680/90 are the same John and Jane who had Henry in 1701 and their last child in 1719.

Jim

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 05 July 18 22:03 BST (UK) »
You'd need to check the baptism records to see whether an occupation was listed for John on the two earlier baptisms and also look for marriages - there might be two though it could still be the same John with two different wives!

Also look for wills - Boo has proved how useful they can be.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 06 July 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
Also look for wills - Boo has proved how useful they can be.

I love old wills, they give great clues to help us with family history :-)

As an aside Jim, you mentioned in a PM that you don't have an account for Family Search.

A free account on Family Search asks for a d.o.b., name and email address. That's all. You are not obliged to create a tree on there ( I don't have an online tree with them or any of the commercial sites)
Which is less personal info than a sub to one of the commercial genealogy sites require, (as they also want a residence address and your bank/credit card details) yet in return the LDS share a LOT of info for free.

Though I understand that some are wary of giving out more details on the net, on balance I think an  LDS account is very good.

Boo