Author Topic: JOHNSON Henry -- Avenue Head on the road to Seaton Delval.  (Read 3359 times)

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JOHNSON Henry -- Avenue Head on the road to Seaton Delval.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
I cannot thank you enough Christine and Jomot

A huge break thorough in my surname line. 

You are indeed right.   I would of gone off to Durham records without blinking a eye.  Being in Canada makes is even more difficult a I am not familiar with the local history  back at that time.   

At this time I am also "Assuming" that Elizabeth "may" be his wife although the one child I know of does not name any of his children Elizabeth

Thank you again Christine for researching the deed for me and giving me advice on what steps I should now take.

Best wishes from Winnipeg

Jim

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
I had to shoot off to prepare for a meeting after that last post of mine but here is another bit which may answer your query on Elizabeth.

I had a very quick look at a book with some Bedlington records in and found two baptism entries for children of Henry - George in 1743 and Jane in 1745 children of Henry Johnson Farmer of Bedlington and Elizabeth his wife.  The quality of the copying in this book was really bad but looking at the microfilm may be better as there is likely to be more children, looking at the dates.

Christine

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 June 18 01:40 BST (UK) »
Great information there Christine.

I'm speculating somewhat, but the 1772 probate for Henry Johnson of Earsdon mentions Robert Brown, Block Maker of Tynemouth and there is a marriage in Earsdon in 1764 between a Robert Brown & Jane Johnson.  The baptism of Jane Johnson in 1745 would put her at about 19, so old enough to be the bride perhaps?

There seems to be more than one couple named Robert & Jane Brown, but baptisms in Tynemouth include an Elizabeth in 1765 and a Henry in 1772.  Henry's baptism on 20 Apr 1772 confirms Roberts occupation as Block Maker.  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m6w/

ADDED:  Marriage extract and marriage bond (2 pages) for Robert Brown & Jane Johnson.  Jane is said to be of Earsdon and 21 or above.  Witness was a William Johnson.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m6x/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m6y/
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 June 18 08:12 BST (UK) »
When you get back to the 1700s it's all those little clues that build a picture and it does sound promising.  I have a busy day ahead but will get back to this tonight.

Christine

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 June 18 23:43 BST (UK) »
I had a look at NBI tonight and there is a burial for Henry Johnson in Earsdon on 12th December 1761.  Could very well be our man  :D

Elizabeth may be more confusing.  There is one burial in Earsdon on 22nd December 1783 and another at Horton on 2nd October 1786.  Boo says her address on the Administration bond was Horton so either could be her.  I do know however that the actual burial record for Horton gives the abode as Bebside so it could be another Elizabeth  :-\  .  A look at the originals next week could be the answer.

Christine

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 June 18 00:34 BST (UK) »
I checked the parish registers today and think that the Earsdon burials are the ones for Henry and Elizabeth -

"17 Dec. 1761 Henry Johnson of the Avenue Head buried"

"22 Dec. 1783 Elizabeth Johnson Widow of Long-Moor in the chapelry of Horton"

Christine

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 June 18 00:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you so so much

I never thought I would know who Henrys wife was even if it is just her first name

You help is greatly appreciated.

Jim

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 June 18 18:11 BST (UK) »
While I was at Woodhorn I also looked at the Bedlington PRs for other baptisms.  The records are quite dirty and many pages have black areas which obscure the writing but this is the list I found.  I know you already have the two Henrys, Jane and George.  I didn’t see any earlier than Margaret but this indicates that any marriage will be 1729 or before.

19 Jan. 1729/30  Margaret daughter of Henry Johnson by his wife Elizabeth
28 Sept. 1734  John son of Henry Johnson, labourer, by his wife Elizabeth
4 Jan. 1738/9  Henry  son of Henry Johnson, farmer, by his wife Elizabeth. Buried 25 Dec. 1739
23 Nov. 1740  Henry  son of Henry Johnson, farmer, by his wife Elizabeth
21 July 1745  Jane daughter of Henry Johnson of Bedlington, farmer, and Elizabeth his wife
27 Sept 1747  George son of Henry Johnson of Bedlington, farmer, and Elizabeth his wife

Christine

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 June 18 01:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Christine   You keep making my day.

Perhaps one day the marriage of Henry to Elizabeth will fall out of the woodwork.   

I do have a question regarding Elizabeths place of death.   • Long-Moor, in, the, chapelry, of, Horton, Northumberland, England

Where exactly is that.  I have now been given two locations and I found a old map that showed a Long-Moor in Northumberland as a very large farm.

Jim