Author Topic: Andrew Aitken born Berwickshire  (Read 1517 times)

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Aitken born Berwickshire
« on: Friday 08 June 18 00:00 BST (UK) »
Greetings from Canada.    I am stalled and hoping someone here can give advice or perhaps information.

Andrew Aitken  was born Aug 5, 1844 in Scotland and passed away Jun 30 1914 in Minto Manitoba Canada.  (No Birth cert found on line) It indicates on census Andrew came to Canada in 1845 with the Hoy family(1861 Canada Census)

It is stated on the death certificate that his parents were  John Aitken born  BERWICKSHIRE   and Isabell  Hoy and it appears they stayed in Scotland.

No record is found for John or Isabel in the Perth area of Ontario where Andrew and his family lived until they moved to Manitoba and I cannot find any record of John nor Isabel in Berwickshire .

I found a few trees with Isabel Hoy marrying a Thomas Aitken in Berwickshire in the correct time period and living in Ontario but it appears this is a seperate family due to the fathers name and there is no supporting documentation or any date for such a marriage.

An help on who the parents of Andrew Aitken were and when and where they married most appreciated.

Jim

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Aitken born Berwickshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 June 18 04:01 BST (UK) »
"Andrew Aitken  was born Aug 5, 1844 in Scotland and passed away Jun 30 1914 in Minto Manitoba Canada"
What makes you believe Andrew was born Berwick?

"It indicates on census Andrew came to Canada in 1845 with the Hoy family (1861 Canada Census)"

Can you elaborate on this please? Who were the Hoy family (names/dates etc.) & what was Andrews' relationship with the Hoys on 1861 census?

Who was the informant on Andrews' death?

Did Andrew marry? If so who was his wife & children (in order)?

"It's stated on the death certificate that his parents were  John Aitken born BERWICKSHIRE and Isabell  Hoy and it appears they stayed in Scotland"
This doesn't necessarily mean Andrew was born Berwick

"I cannot find any record of John nor Isabel in Berwickshire"
There's no indication John & Isobel were in Berwick unless they're found on 1841/1851 census

"I found a few trees with Isabel Hoy marrying a Thomas Aitken in Berwickshire in the correct time period and living in Ontario but it appears this is a seperate family due to the fathers name and there is no supporting documentation or any date for such a marriage."
From the little info. to go on, if Andrew travelled/lived with the Hoy family early on, from at least 1845 this may indicate illegitimacy?

Can you name the children of Thomas & Isabella?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Aitken born Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 June 18 16:26 BST (UK) »

Hi Annie

Going through your questions has actually answered my problem.

The name John on the death certificate has to be wrong

His father had to be Thomas.   I checked the Canadian census records thoroughly and I agree it was likely a illegitimate birth as he left with his mothers family for Canada the year he was born and I would think the birth was never registered anywhere.  I am sure it is not the first one.

IN any case I can move on and thank you for asking the questions you did.

Jim