Author Topic: FIFE Margaret Alexander John Thomas  (Read 1828 times)

Offline RebekahShepherd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FIFE Margaret Alexander John Thomas
« on: Friday 08 June 18 05:36 BST (UK) »
Hi All, Im new here, Im looking for info on the Fife side, Starting with Margaret b1831 -Alexander b1797 -John b1775? -Thomas b1732 -John b1695......   Any info on their tree or spouses trees would be greatly appreciated! 
Many Thanks,  Rebekah.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FIFE Margaret Alexander John Thomas
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 June 18 05:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Rebekah, and welcome to Rootschat! :)

You have given some first names in your post - Margaret, Alexander, John, and Thomas, but as far as I can see you have not given their surname - unless their surname happens to be 'Fife', as well as living in Fife!
It would be very helpful to give what information you have.
You have some dates, but not places of birth. It is also helpful to say where you got this information from - for example, are they from scotlandspeople? or some other website?
So  we have 'Margaret' who? being born (probably baptised), in 1831. Where? (the town or village in Fife).
The same for the other people.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline RebekahShepherd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 June 18 03:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry! Yes all are surname Fife, John Fife b1775? Clackermanshire, Scotland, married Mary Boyd 11-01-1795 dies 03-05-1882. His father Thomas b06-10-1732 Alloa, Scotland, died 1795? I think from memory i got this information from ancestry.com. Thankyou.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 June 18 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebekah I have had a look for the records of your Fife's on Scotlands People website which is the official website for BMD's and census of Scottish records and I can't find any of your Fife's with the dates you have given apart from the marriage of John  to Mary Boyd
When you say you got this info from Ancestry was it some one elses family tree if so then I would take it with a pinch of salt
Have you located Margret in any of the Scottish census or her marriage or death as if these occurred in Scotland after 1855 will name her parents including her mothers maiden name if known

Added there are 2 Margaret Fife's born about 1831 in the 1841 and 51 census both in Clackmannanshire but none in Fife
First one parents Alexander and Elspet
second one Thomas and Helen

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 June 18 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi have been looking at this further there are 3 marriages of a Margaret Fife in Clackmannanshire between 1851 and 1860
There are a couple of things you can do to determine who are the parents of your Margaret Download the 2 weddings in  1855 and 1857  from Scotlands People and either rule in or out the Margarets depending on the parents and spouse names   unfortunately this information is unlikely to be in the other marriage in 1853
The other possibility is the names of Margarets children is there any called either Alexander and Elizabeth/Elspeth/Elspat or Thomas and Helen/Ellen as the names of the children can offer clues to their grandparents names also do you know the parents of her spouse and do their names appear as names of their children