Author Topic: William Edmund Thomas -- which regiment?  (Read 3163 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Edmund Thomas -- which regiment?
« on: Friday 08 June 18 07:50 BST (UK) »
This is my great-great-uncle Will Thomas. Born in Old Mile End, London, to Welsh parents, he soon returned to Wales where he became a coal miner in Llanover, Monmouthshire. At some time before the First World War, however, he joined the army and was sent to India. Family legend is that he was some sort of lancer, but what sort I don't know, or if this information is correct. I also include some related photographs without knowing who the people are, but they may help in identifying anything at all about his military career. I haven't found a death date for him and haven't identified him on CWGC. Any help welcomed!
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Edmund Thomas -- which regiment?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 June 18 13:51 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor who was in the 12th Lancers.
A group photo of his regiment from 1911 has the same type of epaulette as William's photo.
Unfortunately there is no collar badge to indicate the regiment of William.
There appears to be writing above his head in white ink (not able to read on your scan), does this give any clues?

The second photo of the soldier with the pram also looks like a Lancer.

Was William in the army in 1911, if so he should be in the 1911 census?

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 June 18 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

Thank you for replying. In 1911 William was still a miner but clearly must have joined the army pretty soon afterwards, perhaps in 1912.

Best wishes
Queencorgi
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 June 18 08:03 BST (UK) »
The 21st Lancers were in Punjab in WW1. The only British Army Lancer regiment to remain in India for the war.

"In 1899 the 21st Lancers returned to England where it remained until 1912, when it again deployed to India. On the outbreak of the Great War, the regiment saw action against Afghan tribesmen armed by Germany, who threatened the security of the Punjab throughout this period."

http://www.qrlnymuseum.co.uk/21l.htm

Try contacting the museum to see if they have any records of William.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 June 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
Can you tell us when he was born and where/when you have found him on census?   It helps us to have some background on him.  Where/when and to whom did he marry?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 June 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette

Will Thomas was born in Old Mile End, London, in 1870 (I've just sent off for his birth certificate). His father was Welsh and his mother a Londoner. When she died the family returned to Wales where Will went to live with his paternal uncle John and his wife Mary Ann Thomas (see 1891 census, when Will was working as a miner in Llanover. I haven't found him for 1901, frustratingly. However, in 1911 he was living with Mary Ann, his aunt by marriage, and they stated they had been married for 13 years! This definitely happened and was known in the family, but I haven't found (a) John's death (b) a marriage between Mary Ann and Will (too many people surnamed Thomas!). The only other information I have about Will is the photographs already posted, and a tradition that he drank too much!

My original aim with the post was simply to find out his regiment, but of course I'd be delighted if anyone is able to shed any more light on Will, now that you have all the same info as me!

Best wishes
Queencorgi

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 June 18 08:15 BST (UK) »
Tony, many thanks for the additional information about the 21st Lancers. It does sound as though that might fit with Will's life as I know it (ie that he was in India during WW1). I will contact the museum as you suggest.

Best wishes
Queencorgi

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 June 18 21:30 BST (UK) »
If Will Thomas was born in 1870 he would be 31 in 1901 and 44 in 1914.
Would say he looks more to be in his 30s in the photo than in his 40s.
Perhaps he was serving overseas in the army at the time of the 1901 census, hence why not found.

Tony

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

Yes, I see your reasoning but then in 1911 he is a miner and apparently he spent WW1 in the army, in India (or at least that was my starting-point). However, I have now written to the museum as you suggested and will see what comes of that.

Thank you again for your help.