Author Topic: HELP! I am seeking confirmation of a birth year in Kiel.  (Read 777 times)

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
HELP! I am seeking confirmation of a birth year in Kiel.
« on: Friday 08 June 18 10:44 BST (UK) »
I had always understood that my Grandmother Wilhelma Johanna Lina Hjort was born in Kiel on 12th October 1898. She was the daughter of Hans Christian Hjort b.1841 and Johanna Marie Caroline Tiedt b. 1872.

Now a German relative has cast doubt by saying that she was born in 1900. Is it possible to find a source for her actual birth date?

Any help would be appreciated.
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! I am seeking confirmation of a birth year in Kiel.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 June 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
I don't know whether there is a birth record online, but she is definitely listed in the 1897-1898 Kiel Birth Index ("Namensverzeichnis Standesamt I - Geburtenbuch 1897-1898")

1898 - "2536 Hjort Wilhelma Johanna Lina"

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 June 18 22:55 BST (UK) »

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 June 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your pointers, I would never have found that entry without your help! So it seems that grandmother lied about her age to her children by saying that her birth date was easy to remember because it was 1900! I have forwarded the link to her grandson in California (who I only got back in touch with after 50 years because of Ancestry's DNA test!)   :)
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 June 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
Did those links work?
I tried them today and they were not linking as i expected.

If your having problems send me your e-mail address per PM and i´ll send you the Pdf´s

Dave

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

The links got me through to the Kiel records office/council, and with the aid of Google Translate I found my way through to the .pdf file. After which, I felt a bit chuffed!!! Thank you for your efforts. What a wonderful place RootsChat is!!!

Regards

Guy

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Guy

well done. Just noticed that the links weren´t working and thought I´d ask if you managed ok

Dave