Author Topic: My grandfather's war  (Read 836 times)

Offline lrashford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
My grandfather's war
« on: Friday 08 June 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I was wondering if you could help me. I am hoping to find what my grandfather did in WW2, what medals (if any) he received, what position he held and in what regiment.
My grandfather was Gordon Fred Ashford, born 28 Aug 1918 in Westbury-sub-Mendip, Somerset, England. Before he war he lived in Chew Park House/Farm in Chew Valley (before the lake was created). His father was Frederick Hubert Ashford (1888-1951) and his mother was Susan Ada Thyer (1886-1972).
My grandfather did an interview about his life for a book about the Chew Valley area. He said this part about his time in the services, I don't know if it's helpful at all. He's also not listed on the 1939 register but the rest of his family are.

Thank you for all your help :)
Ashford - Somerset, Bristol, Witham Friary

Barrett/Treeweek - Bristol, Somerset, Cornwall

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My grandfather's war
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 June 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
WW2 service records are still held by the Ministry of Defence.  The process for application is here:

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

(Although it says on the intro pages that you need his service number, when you get to the forms you will see you can provide his date of birth or service number).

His records will not be on line.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline lrashford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 June 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
Ah right I didn’t realise this. I’m very much a newbie when it comes to military research!

Forces War Records had some hits for ww2 servicemen but I have such trouble navigating that site. Maybe they didn’t have much information on them.
Ashford - Somerset, Bristol, Witham Friary

Barrett/Treeweek - Bristol, Somerset, Cornwall

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 June 18 13:29 BST (UK) »
That site does not have WW2 servicemen/womens personal records they are only obtainable through MOD. 

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia