Author Topic: Help in translating Hebrew/Yiddish to English - Family Tree research  (Read 1235 times)

Offline keithSt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help in translating Hebrew/Yiddish to English - Family Tree research
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 June 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Justin, wonderful!

So if the person is who I think it is, then she was the daughter of my Great Aunt who had found her way to Poland. Her married name was Finklestein but I've no idea whether the daughter had got married.
One set of Great Grandparents, as I have found so far, came from Russia/Lithuania and although they (well Great grandad) came to England, the children ended up in Poland, Netherlands and England (and a TBA).

I've put 2 more to test your brain. 1 of them may not even have anything on it - there are so many marks they may just be marks! The others I have I think are Hebrew so I can give google a try on that. The polish text is handwritten so I'm not sure Dr Google will help much (I've attached so that you can see what I mean)!

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help with this. There are many people these days who wouldn't bother.

thanks again
Keith

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 June 18 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Keith,

I'm skulking in my hotel room here in Abu Dhabi trying to amuse myself, because it's pretty hot outside - 45 yesterday, a bit cooler today. So a bit of intellectual stimulation is very welcome.

The first document may well come from Poland, but it is written in Russian, as were all vital records from 1868 onwards.

The second one does just appear to be doodling or perhaps a child practising the odd Hebrew/Yiddish letter.

The third is in Hebrew. I can make out the last but one word on the first line mishpakhata = her family.

Sorry, I can't be of more help on this one. Bring on the next ones ....

Justin

Offline keithSt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 June 18 19:21 BST (UK) »
Enjoy Abu Dhabi. Never been although I've heard they have a fantastic airport infrastructure (don't ask!)

So, I am now going to go a bit quiet as I have to dig out the remaining pictures with any writing on and get them scanned. I and when f I need an expert to have a look over, I shall re post on this forum.

thank you again

Keith

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 June 18 14:17 BST (UK) »
Keith,

Endure more like it.

Civil engineer?

I'm heading off for two weeks holiday from Saturday, so I'll be even quieter.

Cheers, Justin