Author Topic: who used an alias and why?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline jotuljones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: who used an alias and why?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 June 18 00:50 BST (UK) »
I wondered why he lived in a blacksmith's house, (if my online Gaelic translator is accurate, and it did not really mean he lived in a goblin's house -which was another translation I was offered) since shortly after his marriage, on his son's birth certificate, he is described as a farmer.

Also, the Laggan referred to might instead be in Kilmonivaig, at the head of loch Lochy, which is thirty miles further west, this fitting with no traceable Duncan Grant living in Laggan (by Loch Laggan) at around that time.
There was and is a group of houses at the head of loch Lochy, known as Balmaglaster, and there was a Duncan Grant and his wife Anne , probably ne Mcdonald, living there when census records began in 1841, whose ages approximately match ...and this Duncan,  from the census, might have been the person, long dead, referred to (anecdotally) by my father, when we were children, and we were living nearby in Invergarry, as "old Duncan Glaster"  But I cannot determine if these two Duncans were one and the same. The childrens' ages work out against mother's age, just, if this was one family.  If it was two families, census data makes the first son to Duncan(2) as Peter, but if that is so, I cannot trace another marriage record that fits, and if they are one and the same, I cannot find deaths recorded for the first Donald and the first Alexander.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Children were I think
20/10/1804 son, Donald.(??died - see later same name)(Mother ??age 16- no birth certificate found)
8/3/1807 son Duncan
1809 son Alexander (?? died - see later same name)
18/4/12 daughter Anne
13/12/1814 daughter Isobelle
1816 son Peter
1826 son Alexander
1829 daughter Mary
1831 son Ewan
1833 son Donald (Mum now age around 45)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: who used an alias and why?
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 June 18 01:13 BST (UK) »
I would say with the reference of 'Balmaglaster' & reference to Duncan as 'old Duncan Glaster' & his own alias, points to the same person but I would assume the one your father was referring to was the son who would have been known by his fathers' reference Duncan of Duncan Glas as he wouldn't have known the elder one/

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"