Author Topic: Halifax St Jude's  (Read 1177 times)

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Halifax St Jude's
« on: Saturday 09 June 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for Lightowler baptisms and I suspect that they might have been at St Judes, does anyone have access?

thanks
Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Halifax St Jude's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 June 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
Dave -- there are some St Jude's Halifax baptisms amongst the West Yorkshire baptisms on Ancestry -- but they only seem to be from 1890.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 June 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pennines, My lot should be from 1860 to 1930 but I have not found any of them yet (I've checked ancestry also) I think I will have to visit Halifax sometime in the near future.
Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 June 18 16:52 BST (UK) »
Dave --- is it this church you mean?

http://www.holytrinitystjudes.org.uk/history-of-st-judes-church.php

If so I'm just wondering if the records might be under All Saints? This particular St Judes seemed to only come into use from 1890.

Might your ancestors have been non-conformist? There are some Lightowler's in the West Yorkshire Non-Conformist records on Ancestry from Halifax. (In addition - on Genuki - the Halifax page has some transcriptions for non-conformist churches. I haven't examined them, as various non-conformist congregations seem to have been covered by kind transcribers.
Places of interest;

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 June 18 17:39 BST (UK) »
Yes that is the right church. I was told by an aunt, that my family had a pew there.
 My gg grandparents were baptised in a non conformist church at Northowram/Queensbury but I don't think later generations continued and I have records of those baptisms.
I am unable to find records for my g grandfather and his siblings 1860-1870, my grandfather and his sister 1899 and 1892 and my father and his siblings 1920's. All born in Halifax.
Thanks
Dave

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 June 18 19:35 BST (UK) »
What Christian names are you looking for please?
Places of interest;

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 June 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
Annie Elizabeth b 1862
Arthur William b 1864
Henry Charles b 1871

Arthur Laurence b 1899
Christine b 1902

Christine b 1924
Keith b 1926
Henry Charles b 1927
Heather Jean 1929

thanks

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 June 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dave -- I have been away from my computer so not had chance to check any more yet -- but I will do so later (just in catch up mode!)

I didn't want you to think I was ignoring your message after providing all the names.
Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 June 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi again David --- I am really sorry, I have searched everyway and everywhere I know and cannot find any baptisms for your family.

If your family did have a pew at St Jude's maybe the actual church will have a record of that -- but of course it can only be from 1890 onwards when the church came into being.

Good Luck with the hunt and any further enquiries.
Places of interest;