Author Topic: Please confirm my theory  (Read 2277 times)

Offline McTalbert

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please confirm my theory
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 June 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you all for responding to my appeal for help.

I am now completely confident that the photograph is not Samuel KENWORTHY. I have obtained a copy of his Royal Navy record and can now report back to the photograph’s owner with the following:

KENWORTHY Samuel. Stoker. SS111668.
Royal Navy. H.M.S. Queen Mary.
Enlisted in the Royal Navy on 22-Jan-1912, aged 18 years. Served on HMS Renown, HMS Minerva II, HMS Vernon, HMS Ariadne and, from 04-Sep 1913 until 19-Jan-1916, HMS Queen Mary. After transferring to shore-base, Victory 1, on 20-Jan-1916 he was invalided from the Royal Navy on 30-Sep-1916.
Note: HMS Queen Mary exploded and sank at the Battle of Jutland on 31-May-1916 with the loss of 1266 men. Only 20 members of the crew were rescued.
Died in the General Hospital, Newcastle Upon Tyne, on 11-Feb-1917, aged 23 years.
Born in the Tyne Dock area of South Shields on 18-Sep-1893. Prior to enlisting in the Royal Navy he was employed in a coalmine. Son of William Broadhead and the late Esther KENWORTHY of 7, Shop Square, Tanfield Lea.
Buried in Tanfield St. Margaret Churchyard on 15-Feb-1917.
Commemorated:
    Memorial Plaque, Tanfield Lea Community Centre.

As for the photograph, I will research the possible Australian uniform angle further by asking the owner whether any of her family had emigrated to Australia or New Zealand (presumably the ANZAC uniforms were the same for both countries).

As for photographs in the Stanley News, Durham County Record Office has microfilm copies of this newspaper and those will be well worth looking at in the future. The Illustrated Chronicle has literally thousands of photographs of Great War servicemen from the North East, many of which have been scanned and can be viewed online at www.flickr.com/photos/illustratedchronicleww1/albums. I have been through the bound copies of the Illustrated Chronicle held by the library and photographed the photographs of the local men not shown on Flickr.

Once again, many thanks.

McTalbert

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 June 18 23:17 BST (UK) »
Glad your all sorted with this inquiry I would be interested toknow what the In from the cold
project would make of the case for possible recognition of him by the CWGC.
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 June 18 15:18 BST (UK) »
For inclusion on CWGC you'd have to get death certificate to see if it mentions war cause of death and if it was related to cause of discharge
It can be quite unfair as on surface it will appear the sinking and his death 5 months later are related but it may not be enough to get him added to Debt  of Honour

I ve had three added but some weren't.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 June 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
Agree Ady,wonder if the in from the cold project are worth a try?
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 June 18 22:17 BST (UK) »
http://www.infromthecold.org/

Give  them a shout they can at least guide you.Good luck.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.