Author Topic: Hello & Researching someone from just a service number and regiment  (Read 671 times)

Offline T1nker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello & Researching someone from just a service number and regiment
« on: Saturday 09 June 18 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

This is my first time on Roots Chat, so hello to you all.

I have looked for similar posts but cannot find anything like my enquiry.  I didn't however get my specs from SpecSavers, so my apologies if I'm just hopeless at searching.

I have a spoon with KOYLI and the service number 4689610 stamped on it.

I have put out a number of feelers but not had a response yet, so I'm still looking for a way to identify the user of the spoon.

One site gives service numbers in series and the dates of enlistment but this number isn't listed. 
Another site states the Series starts at 4680001 - 4736000.

If anyone can shed light on how I can proceed I will be extremely grateful.

P.S. the spoon doesn't have a MOD arrow on it. the manufacturer was Maleham & Yeomans.

Many thanks, T1nker

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hello & Researching someone from just a service number and regiment
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 June 18 20:42 BST (UK) »
Koyli could be King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_Own_Yorkshire_Light_Infantry

What makes you think it is a service number, and what makes you think it relates to any particular period.

If you look at the link I have above you will see it mentions they have a museum you could try contacting them to see if they can help or advise who might be able to

Good luck
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 June 18 20:45 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

I can’t help with an enlistment date, but I think he would most probably have been stiLL serving after 1920, in which case any records would still be with the MOD.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline T1nker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 June 18 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Davidft and Jebber,

David, the series for the KOYLI regiment starts with 468 and so does the number on spoon. I don't think it relates to any period except it is obviously from the last century.  I have already asked the museum for help but no luck yet.

Jebber, The fact that this spoon found its way to Sheffield after the last time it was used by the owner suggests he, she possibly didn't die in the field, or the person was in the Home Guard or similar.  The website showing the service number series doesn't say when the series was introduced so I have no idea if this is a 1st or 2nd WW relic.

The font used for the stamp isn't that easy to recognise and I have no idea how I might identify it or if there is a stamp font resource to match it against to give pointers to when it was in use from and to.  There were many stamp manufacturers in Sheffield, Edward Pryor for one, but I can only find one other in Sheffield now.

Many thanks for taking the time to comment.

Regards
T1nker

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 June 18 17:00 BST (UK) »
Seven digit numbers came in in 1920/21 and were superseded by eight digits in 1942 so there is a rough time frame.  Simplistically (very) he was the 9609th man of 55999 (assuming they were all used) to join the KOYLI after 1921. 

Is the spoon a "posh" quality item as if it were a presentation thing or does it look like his issue spoon stamped with his number and regiment as most (all?) soldiers had to do with various items of kit.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia